4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 12:23 AM by siplus

Can the spec of a graphics card cause a file to hang?

We have a file (150MBs) with bar charts in a number of layouts.  It is a customer / sales recording DB.  On opening the file this leads to a splash page. This pauses to allow data to load.  Clicking start leads to the first layout which contains two bar charts.  The bar charts take data from accumulated sales.  (Our sales stretch back over many years.) We have a critical problem that when clicking 'Start', the file (whether run on hi spec Macs or hi spec PCs) will hang.  The file becomes unresponsive, requiring a Force Quit. I am told that this is because the file was developed on Macs with hi-end graphics cards. If the hanging is caused by the file being run on basic setup, hi spec machines, solid state/16GB ram, but without super spec graphics cards, I would have assumed that the file might be slow, and not hang Filemaker. Any views on this? My feeling is that the hang is caused by code not graphics card spec.

• 1. Re: Can the spec of a graphics card cause a file to hang?
          siplus

I am told that this is because the file was developed on Macs with hi-end graphics cards.

Bullshit.

Open with advanced version and script debugger, watch for endless loops. And/or for searches on unstored calcs.

• 2. Re: Can the spec of a graphics card cause a file to hang?
            Mike Duncan

Rendering a bar chart has more to do with the main processor, not the graphics card processor. There are plenty of reasons that getting the data for the charts displayed might be slow, but this is not likely to be one of them, no.

• 3. Re: Can the spec of a graphics card cause a file to hang?
              bigtom

Native charting with certain types of calculations and sorts can be insanely slow and while the application is preparing the chart in OSX the file may not respond to any other input. As well Force Quit may show FileMaker as (Not Responding). I believe if you let it run long enough it will generate the chart and all things will return to normal.

Nothing to do with the GPU.

As suggested you need to debug your scripts and take a good look at the calculation that drives the charts. I would suspect the calculation is the actual cause. Was it always this slow? The size of the file does not matter as much as the number of records.

You can run some tests by duplicating your file and deleting 80% of the records and see if it responds faster. You can also input a very known to be simple calculation without any unstored calculation field dependency or sorting/filtering in the duplicate test file to verify that the calculation is the cause.

My first chart was a great idea filled with all kinds of sub-calculations and such. I read the warnings from others. But how slow could it really be? With only 2000 records it was dead slow and took 15 minutes to process the chart data. If I left the layout and came back it was another 15 min wait. You have to find another way to show the same data.

• 4. Re: Can the spec of a graphics card cause a file to hang?
                siplus

the layout and came back it was another 15 min wait. You have to find another way to show the same data.

ever tried to graph a simple thing like temperature measured every minute over the whole day and not being able to display only every 30 min instead of every min on the x scale ? go for the real thing: xmCHART | X2max Software