1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 4:07 AM by beverly

Auditing In Filemaker 13

twelvetens

Hi,

I've been researching all the various plug-ins available to perform field-level auditing of a solution, but I've yet to find a definitive best option. What are people thoughts on Monkeybread's Plugin, CNS Audit, Nightwing etc? Or, give that the solution is only being accessed via FMP13, what's the effort involved in implementing a bespoke audit system using the Get (ModifiedFields) function?

• 2. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
          twelvetens

Yeah, I'm aware of Monkeybread, I was just wondering if anyone had a critical appreciation of one product over another. I've just been looking at this post:

http://www.excelisys.com/blog/2014/06/26/filemaker-pro-13-tip-n-trick-easy-bake-filemaker-pro-13-audit-trail/

Which give an excellent example of a native filemaker solution to achieve a simple audit trail (no plug ins required).

• 3. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
            Fred(CH)

[…] Or, give that the solution is only being accessed via FMP13, what's the effort involved in implementing a bespoke audit system using the Get (ModifiedFields) function?

Hi,

The member to contact/follow is wimdecorte.

Past year, he precisely presented at DEVCON a full audit trail solution in FileMaker using in particular Get (ModifiedFields) function.

Bye, Fred

• 4. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
              coherentkris

FM Dataguard is a very robust solution. http://www.linearblue.com/us/products/fmdataguard/

Nightwing's Ultralog is excellent, free, and simple.

• 5. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                wimdecorte

coherentkris wrote:

FM Dataguard is a very robust solution. http://www.linearblue.com/us/products/fmdataguard/

Nightwing's Ultralog is excellent, free, and simple.

Make sure to pay NightWing though.  It's elegant and worth its price.

• 6. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                  keywords

Big tick to Nightwing's Ultralog from me.

• 7. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                    crw030

Towards the high-end of the spectrum, but we implemented SyncDeK before Jason Erickson joined Linear Blue (now the product is available from linear blue microsite, Linear Blue ).  Jason has somehow remained easy to work with, even after becoming a VP.

Audit Logging is like a basic capability for $1250 list, and is like the big brother of FMDataGuard.  I happened to need the sync-to-SQL option instead (so audit logging came included).  I audit log all tables and fields in a complex solution with SyncDeK to a SQL table to keep my FM Data and backups from ballooning - handle over 20,000 field changes per day easily - with that product.

The Nightwing UltraLog worked really great as well, we did some proof of concepts with it before switching to SyncDeK.  I believe it was listed as free for "Educational and Personal Use", so please check with Ray Cologon on licensing before using it outside of those parameters.

I'd say unless you have a really special use case - there is already a solution available that would be effective.  It would be challenging to do a better job, for the same money imho.

• 8. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                      twelvetens

Thanks All, great feedback. I think I'll look into Ultralog.

Cheers

• 9. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                        DanielShanahan

Wim,

I've heard/read from others about your DevCon presentation using Get (ModifiedFields).  And somewhere (this forum perhaps) I downloaded your process flow chart.

Any plans to write more about this method in a blog or white paper?  I realize it was was meant for DevCon attendees.  Just curious if your method will make its way to the larger FMP audience.

• 10. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                          l_allen_poole

I'm looking at options to replace FMDataGuard for a client of mine as they're asking him for $937.50 to use their latest version (their only version compatible with FM 14) only two years after he purchased the previous. (Aside: does anyone else find it surprising that LinearBlue would charge 75% of full purchase price for a required upgrade that confers no new functionality?)

Here's what I see so far in researching replacements:

Ray's Ultralog and other approaches using only native FM features seem to store each record's audit data in the record itself, so as far as I can tell they can't/don't audit deletions.

The MBS, FMDataGuard, and CNS plugins look to provide the same basic features: logging record changes (including creation and deletion) to a separate table. All three look like they'd be a similar amount of work to deploy.

CNS and FMDataGuard additionally offer roll-back support.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
                          Allen

• 11. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Allen,

It's been awhile since I've done this, but you can track deletions in a separate table natively. I was pretty sure Ray offered this in one of his audit examples, but perhaps I am misremembering.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 13 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Sep 28, 2015, at 19:30, L Allen Poole <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

Auditing In Filemaker 13

reply from L Allen Poole in Discussions - View the full discussion

/snip

Ray's Ultralog and other approaches using only native FM features seem to store each record's audit data in the record itself, so as far as I can tell they can't/don't audit deletions.

/snip

• 12. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                              monkeybreadsoftware

Well, the plugin implements audit via SQL. It's not very difficult although the required C++ code is quite long.

You could do it yourself with a couple of custom functions executing SQL statements.

But using the plugin may be easier.

Implementing audit is some work. A calculation per table and for deleting the security check to track deletion.

I recently made a new example for MBS Plugin which shows the modifications in the layout for a table as a history.

Works nice here.

Would be nice if FIleMaker would give us a way to do this on the server.

• 13. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                                wimdecorte

If you have access to it, check out my session from the 2014 devcon.  It was all about creating a full-blown audit log using how Get(ModifiedFields) and how client and server communicate.

• 14. Re: Auditing In Filemaker 13
                                  Extensitech

Do you have a link to this? I expect I'd have access, since I attended devcon but missed your session, but I cannot find it.

Also, is it still true (as it appears to be) that this function won't work from the interface file in the separation model?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

1 2 Previous Next