1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 11:54 AM by Benjamin Fehr

How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?

eqitec

Since FMGo is an app in the traditional meaning of the word, then what do you call the solution?

An "app on top of an app"?

An "app within an app"?

An "app squared?"?

I want to convey the solution's ease of usage as an "app", but confusion arises when the solution can't be obtained from the app store.

• 1. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
          mikebeargie

I call it a solution. Then I say we deploy our solution across multiple platforms.

• 2. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
            Stephen Huston

I tend to go with "solution" as well, though I think of it simply as a file (or a file-system) which is run by an app.

• 3. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
              schamblee

I would say the technical term is database.  I generally refer to the database as a database or an app.  You can create an icon  that runs the database in FMGo.  This worked better prior to ios8 because it didn't look like it was running in FMGo.

I guess any term would work because it still some what confusing to users.  

The Apple Store has a new category call App Extensions.  In my opinion the database could be consider an extensions to add features to FMGo.   I don't know if anyone has attempted to get their database on the Apple Store since the category has been created.  App Extension Programming Guide: App Extensions Increase Your Impact

It would be interesting to see what Apples response would be.  I assume it's new because it states starting in ios8.

• 4. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                davidhead

We (FileMaker Inc.) refer to it as a "solution".

FileMaker Go is the app on the device.

As Mike says, we can then talk about a single solution being accessed across a range of FileMaker clients.

And a solution, can be made up of many files.

• 5. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                  CarstenLevin

We always use the term solution, "løsning" in Danish. Database or other technical terms are not relevant, since they do not reflect what the solution does for the customer.

If we can find a more precise name than solution, then we will do so. If the solution is generating pdf's for a picture bureau we may very well call it pdf-generator. Etc.

• 7. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                    rrrichie

Solution is a nice generic term, but when creating something, I like to give it a name.  In many of my cases the iPad is in itself the solution, running in kiosk mode.  i.e. an iPad is used to take pictures of incoming repairs, so it becomes the picturePad.   Apple Configurator is used to setup the iPad before distributing it.

All my solutions start with something called the "ignitor", which is a database that handles authentication and redirects the iPad/user to the right database.   So the customer refers to is as the TheirBusinessName-ignitor.

In my case alle solutions are distributed in a controlled manner (via the Apple Configurator)... but and an idea just sprang to my mind

*  FileMaker should/could develop some sort of InApp Purchase of "our" solutions.

• 8. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                      mikebeargie

The QA work that would be required by filemaker to offer your solutions for purchase within filemaker go would probably eclipse FMI’s cut by a long shot. In other words, probably not worth it for them to pursue. Even on the “made for filemaker” website, all purchases are still handled by the developer. FMI would need to setup an entire infrastructure to pay out fees, allow sales metrics to solutions developers, etc.. It’s a nice thought, but not really practical IMHO.

Everything you noted about naming/branding is a personal preference, and other’s mileage definitely does vary. A lot of developers build from the ground up, and aren’t in any sort of vertical market where they want to brand their solutions. Other developers are fine with their branded vertical as-is, and treat FMGo as an extension of their capabilities, not the end all.

• 9. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?

FileMaker Go is the app.

What we create is a file that opens in FileMaker Go and FileMaker Pro.

Acrobat Reader in IOS is an app. It opens and stores PDF files.

App is short for application so that isn't quite right but yet each persons solution is unique and works like an app so a new term might be needed: appfile or fileapp or app(file) or file.app or app.file.

How about fapp? or fmpapp or fmapp.

Since the user is not in tune with FileMaker's terminology, the communities terminology, etc. I use the term 'file' or FileMaker file. And explain that it is a database, etc. Sometimes a person doesn't know what a database is.

I also explain the the FileMaker file is cross platform and multi-deviced and can be opened in a browser and that it contains many interelated tables and that...  by now the poor guys eyes are glossing over.

So I try to say "My apps are standalone, networkable and cross platform and open on Macs, PCs and iPad and iPhone and tablets."

As a salesman, I realize the user doesn't care or even know much about FileMaker Pro so I don't tell them much about it in the beginning when I am trying to sell my product. If they become really interested, I can help them download Go, install it and then my 'app' that needs an 'app'.

One mistake that people make is trying to sell FileMaker to someone who knows nothing about it. Sell yourself first, what your product does and if they want to try or buy, then explain...

"I'm a FileMaker developer!" "Who cares?" You'll spend wasted time explaining FileMaker to them and may even get into an argument over why FileMaker is better... 

Put the iPhone or iPad in their hands and let them touch your app. Touching sells. If your app is poorly designed from their standpoint (not yours), you'll know instantly.

Best would be to give it a memorable name and only refer to that. Forget app, forget FileMaker. Refer to its name.

"Money Maker", "Money Saver", "Inventory Control"...whatever.

• 11. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                          schamblee

Just because it's not sold on the Apple Store does not mean it's not an app.

From online dictionary 

Application

noun

1.  the act of putting to a special use or purpose

It's a matter of preference on what to call your database, solution, app, application.   As jackrodgers states most user don't care, they just need a means computerize their work.   It general I use app, but I name my software based on what it does and I refer to it by that name when talking to a customer.  As other companies do online, such as FM Starting Point and GoZync.  

• 12. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                            rrrichie

Totally agree, most customers never need to know about FileMaker.  For me FileMaker is a development tool and so it would like telling people you have a php app or ruby on rails app. 

I'm totally for coming up with coolnames for the solution.  In simple cases it will just be the proces name.   Invoice, Tender away.   Great to be creative though, but some customers are fine with a simple name, others love the idea of using a "made up" term.  The best is to name the solution with the customer :-).

• 13. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                              DavidJondreau

How about "custom app"? Or "bespoke app"?

"It's an app, but you can't find it in the app store because it's tailored especially for you!"

• 14. Re: How do others refer to a solution developed using FMGo?
                                johnnyb

In general contexts, my group tends to call it "a FileMaker app" or just "app" regardless of where it's deployed. You might hear "we're working on a new FileMaker app…" or "this app works in Go on iOS." It comes naturally, people seem to be able to hold the two meanings in their mind, and we move on without getting hung up on it. I think our end users know the difference between "a FileMaker app" and "a real app" but it doesn't seem to slow them down.

When we're working on something, we often call it a "tool," as in "we need a new tool for managing assets" or "this is an update to the vendor tool."

Of course, we most often refer to it by its name, which we try to choose to reflect its function. You might hear "The Forklift Console runs in Go" or "he's working on the Distribution Manager."

As for "solution," I think we hear a lot about "solutions" and find the word to be overused, so we try to avoid using it any more than we have to.

1 2 Previous Next