7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 4:46 PM by ajayz

Formula - Proper (self)

ajayz

I seem to be having an issue with using the "Proper" formula.

I have a field called "Prepared_by" which allows the user to enter their name.  I want to stop formatting issues of all cases or all lower cases etc.

I've set up a calculated value on the Auto-Enter Tab with the following formula:

Proper(TextFormatRemove ( Self ))

I've removed the check box - Do not replace existing value of the field if (any)

From what I understand - when the user enters their name the format will be correct to "Tony Smith" in stead of TONY SMITH

However, when I test the field its not doing anything.?

What have I missed?

Formula.jpg

• 1. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
          justinc

Hey Ajayz,

I tried out what you posted and it seemed to work fine for me.  I made a new text field, pasted in the formula you provided into an Auto-enter calc, deselected the 'replace field contents' option.  I then made a new layout, put the field as a simple edit field on the layout.  When I entered "fred flintstone" it auto-converted the entry to "Fred Flintstone".

Is there something else in the calculation definition window, perhaps?  Could you post a picture of that, too?

What about on the layout itself?  Are there script triggers on the field?  Is the correct field on the layout?  (Doesn't hurt to ask.  )  Are you viewing this through a portal?

--  J

• 2. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
            ajayz

Thank I think if found the problem.

I thought i was gong crazy!

• 3. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
              justinc

So what did you find?

I have to say thanks for mentioning the function, Proper().  I didn't know it existed before - I had to go look it up. 

--  J

• 4. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
                keywords

A couple of points on this one:

1.     you shouldn't need the textformatremove part;  Just Proper ( self ) should work.

2.     you will need to address the question of variations. Bill O'Neil will get cross if his name is constantly altered to Bill O'neil.

• 5. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
                  Mike_Mitchell

TextFormatRemove ( ) may be needed if users are constantly pasting text in from other programs and you want to, say, remove the formatting.  

• 6. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
                    ajayz

Yes, we do have users who like to paste data into fields hence why I use extFormatRemove ( )

Thanks

• 7. Re: Formula - Proper (self)
                      ajayz

Thanks, I'm not too worried about the O'Neil's etc  This database is just quickly captures Work Health and Safety KPI's from a limited number of contractors which is linked to my main database.

I just wanted to stop CAP TYPING etc

Thanks for your reply.