1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 3:33 PM by PeterGort

How does Filemaker handle external vs. internal data imports to table?

wxtyrs

How (and why) does the method of data import impact FMP 13 performance?

That is ... importing data from an external delimited text file vs. data from another table within the same FMP database.

I currently import text file data directly into a table with auto-enter calculation and/or standard calculation fields.

Is there a performance gain by instead:

1. importing the data into a dedicated "import" table, devoid of any calculations, and then

2. importing the data into a separate table that does contain the necessary calculation procedures

For reasons I won't explain here, the imported data must be written/stored in the new table.

This is a single user application, and does not involve FMP Server.

• 1. Re: How does Filemaker handle external vs. internal data imports to table?
          PeterGort

Generally I have found that if the data has to be manipulated in some way, it's better to suck it into a temporary table, then manipulate it as desired then import from there to the destination table.  If the data is going to be used "as is" and doesn't need to be manipulated in some way, I generally just import it into the destination table.  A couple of factors affect the performance of imports :

1) Stored calculation fields.  The more complex the calculation the slower the import.

2) Indexing of fields. Any field that is indexed has to update that index as the data goes in.  I sometimes use "multiple key values" for things like search portals, and these really slow things down.

3) If running standalone (i.e. not from server) then raising the cache settings in FileMaker Preferences may help performance.  This is a case of "give it a try and see".

Hope that sparks some ideas.