1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 1:35 PM by CarstenLevin

What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?

Malcolm

I've been looking for a number. None of the recent versions specifications (linked below) include any mention of user accounts. Is it possible to create an unlimited number of user accounts? We don't expect everyone to login at the same time - but - if we added 999 user accounts and then tried to add one more would the whole thing fall over?

Technical specifications of FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced | FileMaker

Technical specifications of FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced | FileMaker

Technical specifications of FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced | FileMaker

• 1. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
          user19752

I don't know but tested with a script. I stopped getting 12847 accounts.

It seems this is not manageable since the dialog doesn't have filter that layout or script has.

• 2. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
            rgordon

Malcom, I'm not sure of the maximum number but my experience has been that when you have a high number of accounts(over 400) the file becomes more susceptible to file corruption.  I've had accounts become corrupt where a user name could no longer be used to log in.  Another problem would be the file hanging on the server when you try to create a new account.  The word I got from FileMaker tech support was you should never create an account when a file is being hosted on the server.  Although this might be best practice, it might not be very workable to take down a file every time you create a new account, especially if you need to create 100s of accounts.

• 3. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
              Malcolm

That's interesting. I was going to set up a script to do something similar but I hadn't decided on the best approach.

The issue for me is managing these accounts. We're experiencing problems with a file that has about 1000 accounts.

• 4. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                Malcolm

On 27/03/2015 4:36 pm, rgordon wrote:

Malcom, I'm not sure of the maximum number but my experience has been that when you have a high number of accounts(over 400) the file becomes more susceptible to file corruption.  I've had accounts become corrupt where a user name could no longer be used to log in.  Another problem would be the file hanging on the server when you try to create a new account.

That's what I'm seeing too. The problem is occurring on a file that has approx 1000 user accounts.

The word I got from FileMaker tech support was you should never create an account when a file is being hosted on the server.  Although this might be best practice, it might not be very workable to take down a file every time you create a new account, especially if you need to create 100s of accounts.

I've never heard that. It may be practical advice but the possibility that it is necessary makes my head spin. A table with 1000 records is nothing and it only has three or four fields with strict length limits.

We're hosting databases and scripted account management tools are accessible to users with the appropriate login credentials. We may have to rethink the way in which users are managed in this system.

• 5. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                  BruceHerbach

Malcolm,

Thats a bit disturbing.  I have been to a number of Devcon under the hood sessions as well as security sessions.  I have even been through the sessions on file corruption and recovery and never heard any mention of taking a file off line to add or remove users.  Frankly, I find that most users are added after the file is live and hosted.

If I can inquire,  what version of FileMaker were you using when you got this advice from tech support.

Thanks

Bruce

• 6. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                    rgordon

I was using FileMaker 11 when I got the advice from tech support  to not create accounts on a hosted database.  This advice actually came from a Filemaker engineer. 

• 7. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                      Markus Schneider

that would be the killing feature for FMS.. Company with 24/7 processes, new employes -> stop server... No-Go

Tech support should not tell that.. )-:

• 8. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                        Malcolm

I'm trying to think of other things that you have to stop before you add someone to it. Passenger vehicles need to stop, that seems sensible, but software?

• 9. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                          Malcolm

This is a database running on FMS v11 so we are in a similar situation.

• 10. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                            Markus Schneider

I have to add users every now and then (on server, also srv 11) - but we got never more than 40 users. If there are more users, a non-priviledge general account is used per role - and users were created/administrated in a separate table, access etc is done by scripts etc.

WE have had problems when customers realized that FMI mentions a max of 50 users via webd, customers complained that this is a no-go in 2014 (even when they would be fine with 25 concurrent users)

• 11. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                              Fred(CH)

Hi,

For my licensing and and CRM management, i used a scripted individual account auto-creation for years. Since v9, and actually in v12 (with all intermediate versions), using IWP. Obviously it is a 24/24 and 7/7 availability (i hope) since it is used when the customer is purchasing my solution and then create the appropriate account.

Never encountered problem nor had to recover the file. After 6 years, we have now 1637 accounts and browsing the accounts is quite easy, even a filter would be a plus, typing the tree first chars (there are 4 digit numbers) is enough, with FMP on a Mac or on a PC.

Just to provide another feedback...

Bye, Fred

• 12. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                                CarstenLevin

Hi here,

Please quote who it was who told you that you should not create users while hosting on a FileMaker Server, but that you should do it to a local file.

There may be something that I am absolutely not aware of. But I would never ever do anything substantial to a file while it is NOT hosted on a Filemaker Server.

A server with a solution with +1,000 users should be well configured, have a lot of memory and fast disks and well configured i/o setup.

It is an important issue you bring up here, and if it is true that you should not create accounts while being protected on a server, then it is absolutely contradicting anything I know about FileMaker.

My first comment is: Somebody misunderstood something here. Is that possible ... it could of course be me:-)

Best regards

Carsten

• 13. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                                  Malcolm

Hi Fred,

We are using IWP to manage user accounts in this database. However we

are on FMSv11. The database also has a CWP interface which has fairly

low activity ( dozens of users per hour ) and FMP clients ( up to six )

from a call centre.

• 14. Re: What is the Maximum Number of User Accounts?
                                    Fred(CH)

And if i understood you correctly, you asked this question to prevent future potential problem but have not encounter any particular issue as far ?

1 2 3 Previous Next