intex

Filemaker Inc in review of former employees

Discussion created by intex on Apr 1, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 by Benjamin Fehr

just came across the site glassdoor.ca on which several former FM Inc employees have reviewed the company from inside - very interesting and sad at the same time:

http://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/FileMaker-Reviews-E4004.htm

For those who don´t want to go there some of the posts in citation - please note, that this is not my own text or my own experience.

Old boy's company culture. If it comes down to your word against someone else who has more years with the company, you will lose. Don't bother going to HR with your issues. You will be disregarded. The person I talked to actually fell asleep for a good 30 seconds while I voiced my concerns. After a lot of the senior management was let go, encouraged to leave, or left/retired on their own, a bunch of people were promoted to managers and software architects who have no business being in those roles. No innovation happening. In the current state of technology, the company's niche is becoming, if it hasn't already, irrelevant. Implementing a FileMaker installation at your company most likely will require consultants that specialize in FileMaker. It's not a turnkey product. A lot of pride in QA engineers who identify a massive number of defects, but no one looks into the cause of the metrics.

A great place to hide.

Cons

Malaise has taken over this company. Management is risk adverse and hyper analytical to the point of inaction. They are loosing ground every year and they no longer inspire interest in their employees or their customers.

Advice to Management

There are a few talented and motivated people that still work there. Stop getting in their way.

You've been trying to save your way to growth for too long. Its time to think about investing in the customers and the company.

Turnover is low, so there's little room for upward movement within the company. The executive staff is often more concerned with the the bottom line and staying out of Apple's cross-hairs than they are with innovation and retaining good people. This sometimes results in people who are making a decent salary getting a target painted on their backs.

Cons

Not innovation enough.
Not engineer oriented.

Advice to Management

Hire some visionary guy that can transform the company in to the new world.

Cons

I believe change happens slowly--unusual for most tech companies.

Advice to Management

Try more new things to grow revenues.

Pros

Good if you want a paycheck without having to work too hard in a mellow environment.

Cons

If you are considering this company, take a good look at their technology position. Even though progress has been made to keep up with the current technology climate by doing such things as releasing an iOS client for their database software, the company is essentially still squarely positioned in the old school shrink wrap software market. No cloud computing here. You have to ask yourself how long will that last? They make their money from an aging demographic that somehow has been sold on the ease-of-use of their products, and bought into their whole ecosystem. However, in most cases it still requires hiring a developer to create your database for you with their software. Which essentially means they are competing with free and more widely accepted tools that are increasingly in use every day to create vertical applications. That plus the fact we are seeing more vertical applications every day available via retail (not needing a developer), and you have yourself a company clearly on the down trend.

Outcomes