1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 11:31 AM by siplus

Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

A scrolling text field that is not editable and does not have to be entered to activate the scroll bars.

In order to scroll a text field, even with the scroll bars attached, the field MUST be editable. Bad idea, really.

To prevent editing a scrolling field, we must use a global. That must be editable to scroll. Bad Idea, really. Users create tons of data in this field and then wonder why it isn't saved.

So, after almost 30 years, FileMaker has still not given us a scrolling text field that is not editable although I could do this back then in other database apps.

An example in Go of how this can be done nicely is Apple's Notes. For Instance, Add a lot of data to one of the notes. Then notice how you can swipe up and down with out inserting a cursor. Tap to insert the cursor.That's what I want and so do many others.

FileMaker Go, on the other hand,  is an example of a bad user interface when it comes to scrolling text fields.

The same data in a FileMaker Go text field won't scroll with a swipe. The user must tap to insert the cursor. Then the keyboard pops up. Now the user must close the keyboard to scroll the field which remains editable and this can cause problems.

This is annoying and can be fixed. I suggest that all FileMaker management personel be required to use FileMaker Go and experience what the users experience. If management had to use it for their daily work, they would insist on the changes we all want.

• 1. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
          Markus Schneider

LEt's wait and see what the next version brings - shouldn't be a long time, update cycle is ~ 1 1/2 years

ON the other hand, there will not be many people from FMI who are using iPad's on a daily basis - there are other interface issues of FMGo as well and if one single manager would use an iPad on forums.filemaker.com... It's not even possible to buy FM licencies via the webshop due to invisible fields (official answer: Since iOS isn't capable of displaying shadows, the input fields in the shop remain invisible...)

BUt: I love FMGo! No other software allows to create personal app's that easy!

• 2. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
            Mike Duncan

You could use a web viewer to display the text, and it can scroll up and down like you are asking. This is a pretty easy fix, would that work for you?

Thanks

Mike

• 3. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
              siplus

In order to scroll a text field, even with the scroll bars attached, the field MUST be editable. Bad idea, really.

No. it must be enterable in browse mode. Therefore use a calc field defined as = yourtext field and you will be able to scroll it but not change it.

• 4. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

MUST is not a viable word, IS is more like it.

Other apps have scrollable fields with enterable text that work the way I think it should in GO. Try the Notes app that I mentioned. Create a lot of text in the field (copy and paste). Now swipe to scroll. No fuss no muss. No popup keyboard.

I was creating scrollable dialogs in 4D close to or more than 20 years ago, this is not a new idea.

Most FileMaker only developers may not realize what I am saying, of course.

• 5. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

Since I have avoided the web viewer other than to show Craigslist pages etc. I am not that familiar with the techniques. A sample might get a LIKE...  or a Tweet!

• 6. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

From how little things are fixed that we ask to be fixed (not new features) I don't think anyone in management ever uses FileMaker other than at a board meeting to view a new designers latest stuff, an then its probably just viewing the projected images.

I stand ready to be correct and to politely rescind this statement in public at noon wearing a...

• 7. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                      siplus

jackrodgers wrote:

MUST is not a viable word, IS is more like it.

MUST is the word YOU used. Together with editable. A calc is NOT editable. But it is enterable in browse mode.

Beyond that, I gave you the simplest solution possible. Happy Easter.

• 8. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                        Mike Duncan

Very quick example attached.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 9. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

Nothing new to me in your suggestion. I've used it for years and that's why I made my post. It's a terrible solution. IMHO of course. Mileage may vary.

Try the Note app test and see how nice that is...

• 10. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields

The web viewer works better than using a calc field, IMHO.

I still stand for FileMaker delivering a non editable text field with no fuss no muss. Select all of the text in your text field and create a new note in the Note app on an iPad. Click outside. Now you can swipe up and down without entering the field.

Something like that would up the ante significantly.

Attached is a slight revision where I have included the suggest calc field. It is NOT modifiable but the hassle of being told I can't after I tried is frustrating.  I'll be using your web viewer idea and // Mike Duncan suggested this.

Note the original file attached was created by Mke Duncan. I added the calc text field for comparison.

The calc suffers from two things:

1) the cursor can be inserted and editing causes an error dialog. This should not occur.

2) Nit picking but the calc field bears all of the misspellings and underlining... 

Both allow copy and paste but the calc field does allow a select all while the web viewer field does not.

• 11. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                              jormond

I agree with you on this one Jack. It should be a fixable thing...especially now with objects being CSS based.

Though I also don't typically show actual fields on a layout where the user is not allowed to edit the data.

I will also employ a "...more" tag at the end of the field that, when clicked, opens a hidden pop-over to reveal the rest of the text. For many of the users I've dealt with, they are already accustomed to that behavior. Ray Cologon has a nice pop-over demo on his site. And I seen a few others also with similar approaches ( like the "Hamburger Menu" ).

NightWing Enterprises - Screen Popovers Demo for FileMaker Pro 13

FileMaker: Hamburger Menu

With approaches like this, I rarely need to use text fields with scroll bars.

• 12. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                                user19752

Adding

margin:0;border:0;padding:0;

to the style makes a bit similar viewing as field.

GetAsCss() substitutes linebreaks to <br/> then Substitute() seems not need.

There is a option for text field "Don't apply visual spell-checking" in inspector Data tab.

On Windows, triple clicking in web viewer select all. I wonder that ctrl-A don't work, this may be captured by default action, but when selecting a word in web viewer, it should be send to web viewer but not?

• 13. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                                  TorstenBernhard

"Editable" and "scrollable" are totally independent attributes - and so are corresponding user actions. There are workarounds - and workarounds they are - like using a calc field. FMP should honour the very obvious independence of these two attributes. The implemented business rule (as per FMP 13.0v5) of providing only one switch for "editable & scrollable" on/off in browse mode has a negative impact on user experience and forces development into workarounds.

FMP offers "editable" without "scrollable". Why not "scrollable" without "editable"?

If there is a good reason for a "no, you can't have it", I would like to learn about.

I wrote a poll in this forum on 09 Feb 2015 "Scrollable write-protected fields", dealing with this issue. That is some 2 months ago.

Where are we now?

• 14. Re: Please Fix: The Scrolling Text Fields
                                    codeslave

You are really wasting your time, it seems they are more interested in new features to pull in new licence fees and users rather than fixing the multitude of bugs that have been hanging around for nearly 5 years.

It's all very well people showing their 'skill' with 'clever' workarounds... but that is not what a professional solution should be about.

1 2 3 Previous Next