1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 8:42 AM by erolst

Hide Seconds in field

PaSav-ICT

We have a time field that we use for time registration. If i use this field in the Dutch language of FileMaker Pro it sows the seconds, if i use Filmaker in English it is not showing the seconds. Can't find a way to do this in the Dutch version of Filemaker Pro.

• 1. Re: Hide Seconds in field
          Benjamin Fehr

If the field is defined as "Time", you should be able to specify the how the value presents itself.Time_Inspector.png

• 2. Re: Hide Seconds in field
            PaSav-ICT

Yes it display's correct, but when entering the field to change it is always shows the seconds also.

• 3. Re: Hide Seconds in field
              siplus

efficientbizz is right and his suggestion is the first step for sure.

There's a minor nuisance, though: even if the field display is set that way, the moment you click in the field you will see the seconds, again. If you really hate them you have to create another field, calculated of type text, like this:

Right("0"&Hour(aTime);2) & ":" & Right("0"&Minute(aTime);2)

(aTime is your original time field)

and put that field on the layout. Of course this field can only be used for display and search, not for data input (but I presume that your original field gets auto-entered, being a time registration)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                Benjamin Fehr

siplus

Not sure if I get this right. I think your formula don't change the way values get showed when field is entered.

The field been only displayed as wished can be achieved with inspector as shown.

If though (well, I could be wrong), only workaround I see is to use a value-list for data input

• 5. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                  siplus

efficientbizz wrote:

siplus

Not sure if I get this right. I think your formula don't change the way values get showed when field is entered.

yes it does.

The content is now text. (I said: calculated of type text). Try it

• 6. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                    siplus

We had exactly this problem with our Waiting Room list, which appears on the agenda.

Concretely: you have the agenda filled with patients. As soon as a scheduled patient comes, the MPA* clicks on the entry in the agenda and a new record is created in the waiting room list, recording the time of arrival.

Fast forward to later: the doctor can see time like this, by clicking in the arrival time. I had to transform it to text in order to hide the seconds.

* Medizinischen Praxisassistentinnen

• 7. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                      Benjamin Fehr

my sympathy for dealing with the Health System

I waste a lot of time only to deal and negotiate with health department, insurance companies and professional associations.

• 8. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                        siplus

I implemented the whole TarMed validator from 0, in Filemaker. Plus XML validation. Imagine that... it's for sure and by far the most complex script I ever wrote.

• 9. Re: Hide Seconds in field

There are two time fields: time and timestamp.

Time fields can accept seconds which seems...

You cannot enter time into a timestamp field but you can enter a timestamp into a time field.

I think FileMakers handling of numbers and times and dates could be improved...  It should not allow the entering of text...

• 10. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                            user19752

I wonder if there are different between Dutch and English.

Using 's calculation in trigger script (onObjectExit or something)

Insert Calculated Result [ Select; aTime; Right("0"&Hour(aTime);2) & ":" & Right("0"&Minute(aTime);2) ]

will resolve with field type remain time.

• 11. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                              Markus Schneider

YEs... we've done that to - all Filemaker: Validator, xml-generator. Incl. the reverse (i.e. creating a 'human invoice' from a xml file (thanks to Dr. Jens Teich's all-for-one-xslt. Jens did a phantastic job, btw.)

XML Validation is external, we create a valid xml in FM, checking goes via Oxygene, Xmplify, XML-Spy, whatever. Started under FM6, overworked for FM9/11/12/13, TarMed versions 300/400/440... (440 in progress at the moment)

• 12. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                                siplus

you have more than only my sympathy. There are contradictions in TarMed that I had to solve with hardcoded exceptions in the script (and I hate that). Mostly coming from PIK - Entscheide.

• 13. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                                  DavidJondreau

Time fields are a little funny. They store what is entered. So you can put in 1 PM or 2:31:03 am and that's what it will store. You can change what a field displays as using the formatting options, but when you click into a field it shows what is being stored. FileMaker will leave the seconds "column" blank if no seconds are entered.

My recommendation is to use an auto-enter calculation to revise the time to lop off the seconds. Personally I use a custom function that takes a time, drops the seconds, and formats it so the style is consistent across all records, regardless of how the user entered it (as long as it's US standard time, not military).

• 14. Re: Hide Seconds in field
                                    erolst

jackrodgers wrote:

You cannot enter time into a timestamp field but you can enter a timestamp into a time field.

Actually, it's the other way around:

• when inserting a time into a timestamp field, the current date will be added as the date portion

• inserting a timestamp into a time field will cause an error, since that expression/string doesn't constitute a valid time

1 2 Previous Next