14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 1:19 PM by carterbrooks

Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely

jrenfrew

Mac 10.10

FMP 13.0.9

Just installed Acrobat DC (the new version of Creative Cloud Acrobat, out today, and very lovely)

BUT all my interactive containers with PDF files in are now white. No chrome at all.

Disabling the Safari plugins does not fit the issue

Havent tested on Windows yet.

So

Caution till it's fixed.

If the same happens for you then add to this bug report

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/0868569f59

• 1. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
          steveromig

john renfrew wrote:

Mac 10.10

FMP 13.0.9

Just installed Acrobat DC (the new version of Creative Cloud Acrobat, out today, and very lovely)

BUT all my interactive containers with PDF files in are now white. No chrome at all.

Disabling the Safari plugins does not fit the issue

I was unable to reproduce this - albeit with a simple database with only one interactive container field.  Can you see if you can reproduce it with a similar file?

I am using the 30-day trial of Acrobat DC but I am hopeful it does not make a difference over a "real" version.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
            jrenfrew

Steve...

This is with a hosted file on 13.0.9

If I open it as standalone it seems to work fine...

Thanks

John

EDIT

It might just be this one file, but it is a main document store and saw recently recreated from the ground up in 13 to add decent styling..

I looked a couple of other hosted files with container fields on and they seem to work fine.

<<Scratches chin...>>

• 3. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
              steveromig

john renfrew wrote:

Steve...

This is with a hosted file on 13.0.9

If I open it as standalone it seems to work fine...

Thanks

John

Ah...

Thanks for the extra details.  I'll look into it.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                jrenfrew

Steve

On Windows I get a 'can't connect to this web page' in the interactive field

It also seems as if I can't connect to the admin console since the update to 13.0.9. (Not using SSL on this machine) on my dev server I have just been asked to trust the new certificate but this is not happening on the main server which is where this problem is appearing.

Will start by rebooting the server to see if that clears the issue.

• 5. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                  peteraddison

Filemaker uses the same plugin as Safari, so you might want to let Safari do the work:

"To disable Adobe Safari integration, delete the AdobePDFViewer.plugin from  /Library/Internet Plug-ins"

Once you delete that, FM will use Preview to view in containers.

When you install acrobat, things all change in FM as to what's handling container previews.

• 6. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                    jrenfrew

Steve

I can confirm that by reinstalling the server 13.0.9 it restores the functionality.

Ne idea why when I could see the file I couldn't see the container..

john

• 7. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                      imarc

I much prefer the OS X Preview-based interactive PDF viewer that's used when the Adobe plugin is not present or enabled, but Adobe works so hard to re-install it or re-enable it every single time Acrobat or Reader is updated that keeping it off the system is a frustrating task for a single user and practically futile in a multi-user environment.

I try to keep Acrobat and Reader off of my personal Macs entirely for this very reason, so I have to ask: are newer versions any better in this regard?

• 8. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                        radeffect

We are also having major issues with Acrobat DC (but for Windows).

The container shows the preview with all the Acrobat buttons and menus and shows nothing when printing or previewing.

I'm looking for ways to suppress these so maybe it will print again.

If I disable the Acrobat Add-On in IE, Acrobat Reader opens in full every time I flip a record that has a PDF in the container.

I found that someone managed to remove the buttons in Acrobat XL by deleting a couple of config files but DC doesn't seem to have these any more (or at least not under the same file names).

Has anyone found a way to deal with this new Acrobat?

Dan

p.s. Win7 64bit, Acrobat Reader DC, FM 13

• 9. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                          radeffect

Update:

by removing 3 files in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroApp\

(AppCenter.aapp, Home.aapp and Viewer.aapp)

I was able to suppress the buttons and menu but it still doesn't print.

• 10. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                            TorstenBernhard

Starting with Version 8, MS Windows has a Preview-style PDF viewer. It is nicer than the Acrobat app with a less button-cluttered surface. I did not get this to work with FMP 13 on Win 8. How to make this work for those who do not wish to install Acrobat?

• 11. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                              jrenfrew

Effectively when you make a container interactive it becomes a web viewer.

So it uses the BROWSER settings for viewing the PDF. If that app is standalone then the answer is probably no, if it is the default web-viewer chrome then it 'should' work

Why would you not want to install Reader? Have you seen DC?

Many other rendering apps are not standards compliant. Try filling in a form in Preview on the Mac and see what I mean. Given that PDF is an ISO standard this is pretty much lazy and sloppy programming on behalf of the OS teams. What about how it handles digitally signed PDF files, which believe me are the future. What about embedded 3D files, PDF collections? And what support do you expect for PDF2 which is just round the corner?

john

• 12. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                                radeffect

As John mentioned the active container is actually a web viewer and at least in windows it uses the acrobat IE add-on.

If that is not installed then I would guess FM will automatically open the PDF in the default associated app (outside of FM), in your case the Win8 app.

Which would make it useless, unfortunately.

Dan

• 13. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                                  TorstenBernhard

Agreed, "Preview" is not suited for elaborated handling of PDF. I only need to view PDF, which are mostly scanned documents. That's fine with "Preview". Supporting the built-in OS PDF viewer per default, as long as no other PDF app is installed, would make behaviour of the Win version consistent with that of the OS X version, and may be sufficient for many cases.

• 14. Re: Acrobat DC isn't playing nicely
                                    carterbrooks

why? for myself, because i don't want all the extra panes and buttons that show up in my interactive container field.  that's why...