1 2 3 Previous Next 74 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 7:57 PM by jormond

8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t

jgalt

1 – The Multiple Window Problem on Windows

Windows users are taken out of full-screen mode as soon a second window is opened. This makes developing cross-platform solutions a huge pain for developers and ruins the experience for users. It's quite incredible that FileMaker ignores this problem year after year.

2 – The Single View Layout Problem

As the average user’s screen size has increased FileMaker has failed to address the layout issues when dealing with list views on wider displays. In most instances a 1920 pixel wide list view is too wide, leaving a huge section of unused space which looks ridiculous. What developers really need is a “Split View Layout Option” so we can combine a List View and a Single Record View into a single layout. Sure...we can create layouts that are similar to this using portals but portals introduce all sorts of additional problems and limitation such as sorting, maintaining scroll position, and huge performance issues when dealing with large numbers of records.

3 – The Nightmare Called the Relationship Graph

It is hard to believe that we have not seen any improvements to the Relationship Graph since it’s initial introduction. At the very least we should be able to toggle between the current Graphical View and a List View version of the graph. We should also be able to search, filter and organize the graph just like we can with scripts. The abilty to copy and paste a graph from on solution to another would be awesome.

4 – Problems with the Define Fields Window

Why on earth can’t we search and filter this window just like we can in the Field Picker? We should also be able to organize these into folders like we can with scripts.

5 – Inconsistencies Between Platforms

The introduction of popovers and slide panels are great but why don’t these behave the same on Mac and Windows? Seriously, what is the Windows limitation that prevents the animation effects from working? The animations are also poorly implemented. They lack the finesse of modern web browsers and the iOS. Developers should have total control over animation speed and easing.

6 – The Navigation Problem

Not having a universal navigation system between layouts creates a huge amount of extra work for developers. Sure, we can fake a menu system using portals but this make a solution unnecessarily complex.

7 – The Cluttered Layout Problem

It is becoming increasingly difficult to manage and select objects when in Layout View. Especially now that we can programmatically hide elements. We need "Layers" (similar to Photoshop) so we can better manage and organize all of the layout elements. The ability to create layers, hide layers, and arrange their stacking order would be a real game changer for developers.

8 – The Font Problem

It's hard to develop a great looking interface when you don't have control over the exact font that is being used. The ability embed specific fonts into a websites has transformed the way websites look and feel and it would do the same for FileMaker solutions. It would also allow developers to replace heavy graphics with much lighter weight (retina-ready) icon fonts. Make it so FileMaker, make it so!

Did I miss anything?

• 1. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
          TorstenBernhard

9 - The Ill-Placed Cursor Marker in Windows Version

In FMP 13, the cursor marker deviates from the real cursor position when typing text either in browse mode in a text field or in a text label in layout mode. Try not making typos when the cursor marker is NOT at the place where text is typed in. Appears in Windows when the system scaling factor is not 100%. It is not at 100% when using a hi-res screen Alle items on screen would appear really tiny then. When the Windows system scaling factor is set to 100% (this is the official workaround) you need magnifying glasses to read all the stuff. It's not just cosmetic, this is driving users nuts when they type in audit evidence all day long, wrestling with the damn cursor marker.

Frankly, I expected this to be corrected already in FM 13.

• 2. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
            intex

jgalt schrieb:

Did I miss anything?

Sadly yes:

1. The ancient import and export dialogues.
            2. Script commands that have no parameters, that can be set with variables.
            3. Synchronization built in.
            4. Affordable multiuser for plain users,
            5. Sending of HTML emails
            6. Import of mails, vcard and vcal formats
            7. full responsiveness for layouts
            8. css editor at least in Advanced
            9. Export of solutions to appstores (in Advanced)
            10. Reduction of the number of known and not solved bugs by 80%.

to be continued

but we did have a very long thread "feature wish list" already. So all this isn´t new.

• 3. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
              siplus

What is the purpose of this thread ?

• 4. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                jgalt

siplus wrote:

What is the purpose of this thread ?

The improvement of FileMaker.

• 6. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                  dterrero

How about emailing multiple attachments in one single email?

• 7. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                    stevestearns

While I am not judging anyone... It feels like these concerns and/or observations would be better addressed to FileMaker through their feedback and product enhancement requests, so that they could be properly reviewed and added to a roadmap for FileMaker, if appropriate. FileMaker Feature Request

I am sure this post is well intentioned, but the tone seems kind of negative rather than constructive. The title alone "8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won't" seems to assume that FileMaker doesn't listen nor address valid concerns. From my vast experience with FileMaker, since FileMaker II on a Mac Plus, I have not found that to be the case. FileMaker has evolved quite a bit over the years and continues to add great new abilities, functions, and features. I love FileMaker Go and all the mobile opportunities it has provided us as developers and users.

Each platform has uniqueness, and FileMaker has done a pretty good job of making things work well cross-platform while embracing each platform, iOS, and Apple's mobile devices.

• 8. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                      plegler

I must agree with Steve. No application is perfect, and it seems to me that the FileMaker community prides itself on dealing with the uniquenesses of the platform. So much has been added to its capabilities, over the years. Remember too that FMI is in business. While I would love for them to reduce the cost of the multiuser environment,  their business model is their business model. That's more than a feature change, it's a philosophy change. I tend to be a 'glass half empty' kind of guy, but in this case I see the glass a considerably more than half full.

• 9. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                        stevestearns

Thanks plugger for your supportive comments of my viewpoint and FileMaker business model. We should use our voices in a constructive manner to help shape FileMaker. Sometimes, FileMaker will agree and sometimes they won't see the value in what's proposed. Only FileMaker has the big picture of what's important to the majority of their user base (current and future) and thus the product roadmap.

I, myself, am more of a realist. The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It is always full, because there is air in it.

• 10. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                          siplus

The glass is oversized. Actually it's twice as big as it needs to.

• 12. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                            A2analytics

stevestearns wrote:

While I am not judging anyone... It feels like these concerns and/or observations would be better addressed to FileMaker through their feedback and product enhancement requests, so that they could be properly reviewed and added to a roadmap for FileMaker, if appropriate. FileMaker Feature Request

I am sure this post is well intentioned, but the tone seems kind of negative rather than constructive. The title alone "8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won't" seems to assume that FileMaker doesn't listen nor address valid concerns. From my vast experience with FileMaker, since FileMaker II on a Mac Plus, I have not found that to be the case. FileMaker has evolved quite a bit over the years and continues to add great new abilities, functions, and features. I love FileMaker Go and all the mobile opportunities it has provided us as developers and users.

Each platform has uniqueness, and FileMaker has done a pretty good job of making things work well cross-platform while embracing each platform, iOS, and Apple's mobile devices.

I have been out of circulation in FileMaker for a few years, but I have been a professional developer since 1995, I attended many of the earliest developer conferences, and I was one of the earliest certified developers. I can tell you that it is definitely NOT the case that Filemaker Incorporated (and Claris, remember that?) has been responsive to developer requests. In fact there have been long periods where Filemaker had a conflict in their business model between end users and professional developers. There have been frequent events where FileMaker resisted a feature because they wanted to position FileMaker as purely an end user tool, and did not want create features that might intimidate end users. They also frequently resisted any marketing that suggested a professional developer would add value to a database solution.

I remember vividly developers pleading for and requesting various features for years, only to be rebuffed. There was even a period of time when Claris argued that relational database structure was not necessary for the FileMaker product. I lost enormous amounts of money in the 1990's because of the Canon inkjet printer floating point unit bug. Basically, if you made any solution that performed summation math for the Windows platform, for an end user that had a retail inkjet printer, you were #$@!%^.

So to say that it is inappropriate to complain, or to make demands in this forum, is simply historically inaccurate. Many of the features you enjoy today, only exist because large numbers of developers demanded them, forcefully.

• 13. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                              rsin

Great list there. It's sad to know that FileMaker still lacks a lot being an Apple subsidiary. These are some of the basic features that should be there already, we should ask for more control to the developers, more coding. It's just a Paint tool where u drop things and it becomes an application. I don't know how much FileMaker have evolved but it still lacks a lot (yes, even FM 13) compared to other technologies.

• 14. Re: 8 Problems That FileMaker 14 Should Fix But Probably Won’t
                                PeterWindle

Let's not even get me started on Bound solutions...

grrrr...

other than that... I agree with the list, then there are other smaller things that have led me down the path of losing clients because filemaker can't do the task.

There was a bug that I came across in v12 whereby there was a relationship based on two unstored calcs that was fixed with an update to v12 but this was never fixed in 13, so I doubt that 14 will ever be any different.

I also had a client request v13 installer for Terminal Services, there isn't one, not sure if this will ever change with 14.

I also had the same client have issues with viewing pdf's within a container via webdirect, worked ok on LAN, but not WAN, Filemaker suggested opening some sort of port on the server, their IT department completely refused to, due to SECURITY concerns, therefore rendering the webdev solution useless. I doubt that this will change with 14.

1 2 3 Previous Next