2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 12:40 PM by disabled_jackrodgers

Layout Master Pages

vaguiar

Has there been discussion anywhere of a feature request for master pages for layouts? That is, master layouts whose changes will be reflected on layouts associated with the master.

• 1. Re: Layout Master Pages
          steveromig

Victor Aguiar wrote:

Has there been discussion anywhere of a feature request for master pages for layouts? That is, master layouts whose changes will be reflected on layouts associated with the master.

Make sure you enter it here...

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

With that said, I know this has been requested many times but one (or more) times never hurts.  Love to see this one myself. 

We have "sort of" taken a step in that direction with the use of styles and themes

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Layout Master Pages

4th Dimension had a feature similar to your request about 15+ years ago, I've lost track of time.'

A global is the closest thing to this request.

Next would be to create scripts for the global(s).

I've used <<$$_buttonName>> as text in the button names which was progress in that direction. Also makes it easy to use in different languages...

If the text labels is made into a button then it can then perform script x with a parameter of $$_buttonName. Now that script can have branches to do all kinds of checks and decide what to do.

If (get(layouttablename) = ""

If (getlayoutname) = ""

If ($$_buttonName = ""

Peform script

Go To Layout

Go To Related...

and so on.

One of the niceties of this idea is that one button can be copied to various table layouts and act as a navigator by sensing the table and sending you somewhere appropriate...

Try it with a NEW button or a TABLE button. If done right, you can paste it on any layout or even create a popover that can be pasted on any layout.

Still needs a lot of cut and pasting when changes are made. Not problem for fmi management who don't design databases...