5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 5:36 AM by PeterWindle

Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?

nickg

I have a FM app that uses the Beep script step to alert to certain events but, on FMGO / iOS8, the sound is a dull 'bonk' that is hard to hear when the iPad is in a pocket, even on full volume.

Is there a way of changing this to a 'brighter' chime? If not, is there any other way I can generate a clearly audible alert in a script step?

• 1. Re: Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?
          PeterWindle

The "beep", as far as I know, is OS/System driven. Why not put some sounds into containers and play the appropriate sound when needed?

• 2. Re: Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?
            steveromig

Nick Gaunt wrote:

I have a FM app that uses the Beep script step to alert to certain events but, on FMGO / iOS8, the sound is a dull 'bonk' that is hard to hear when the iPad is in a pocket, even on full volume.

Is there a way of changing this to a 'brighter' chime? If not, is there any other way I can generate a clearly audible alert in a script step?

Yeah...FileMaker Pro / Go do not have control over the "Beep."  That is handled at the OS level for sure.

Peter's suggestion about using Container fields with sounds is a good one and used by others to do similar things.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?
              nickg

Thanks for confirming what I feared Peter. I will indeed try using a container field - I assume that I can play its content from a script step in FMGO?

• 4. Re: Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?
                nickg

Try as I may, I cannot get a Goto Field (select/perform ; Settings::alert) to play the contained mp3 file. The container field is on the same layout as a button that runs a script with that single script step. I can play the sound by clicking the run button on the container field but the button simply sets focus on the container without playing it. What am I doing wrong? Are there examples I can try out?

• 5. Re: Can the 'beep' system sound be changed?
                  PeterWindle

I have found the same. Even though the container field is setup to "Start playback automatically" and despite setting up scripts to goto the field did not start the audio playback either.

You would be best not to use the filemaker dialogue box and create a message/alert on a layout.

On the layout, you can place the container field so that when the user is shown the message/alert (layout) then the audio plays. There are some gotchas...

It can not be displayed in a pause/resume state.

The filed must be on the layout, so if you want to hide it, it gets annoying, since the size of the field has to be at least 10x10 points in order for the audio to play...

I have thrown together a very quick sample file as a demo.

1 of 1 people found this helpful