4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:58 AM by jnardozza

FileMaker File Size Question

jnardozza

Hello all,

Recently I have been working on a small test file designed to conduct performance tests. I've noticed a strange problem with the file and I was hoping someone might have an answer for me!

A little background on the file first. The file is unencrypted, with only a single user account set to full access. There are four layouts, and six table occurrences. The relationship graph has only one established relationship. There are 3 tables, their details are below.

Console - 6 fields, 3 of which are global, one calculation which references a field in the same table. Only one record at any time.

Performance_Data - 34 fields, 14 calculations and 14 summary fields, all calculations reference data in the same table. Usually contains less than 200 records.

Dummy_Data - 6 Fields, no calculations, only the primary key is indexed. Fields are: Text (primary key), text (random UUID), date (date of record creation), number (random integer between 1-100), timestamp (creation timestamp), and time (creation time).

This is the table I believe I am having an issue with.

While creating records in the Dummy_Data table, I have noticed the file size is growing at a huge rate. At 0 records in the Dummy_Data table, the filesize is 352kb. At 46,400 records the filesize grows to 3.78GB. There are no container fields in the entire database. The relationship graph contains only one relationship, and there are only four layouts. Does anyone have any ideas on why the file size is growing so quickly?

Thanks for any input,

Jason

• 1. Re: FileMaker File Size Question
          siplus

It might be full index of the text fields.

Make a copy of the file, turn indexing off for these 2 fields, save a copy as compressed copy and see how big it is.

(remember that not explicitly turning indexing off can result in later indexing as soon as you do a find; same holds for defining relationships).

Anyway, being a test database, you could post a zipped clone for us to play with.

• 2. Re: FileMaker File Size Question
            jnardozza

I removed the indexing of the primary key field and compressed the file, which dropped the file size to 2.84GB. None of the other text fields were indexed. 2.84GB still seems quite large for a record count of only ~46000.

• 3. Re: FileMaker File Size Question
              siplus

if you're on a Mac, you can test your HD for being screwed up by rebooting with cmd-S held down.

When you can type, type /sbin/fsck -fy

then press return

once finished type reboot then press return...

the 2.84 GB is out of this world, I'd really fancy to experiment a bit with your file !

• 4. Re: FileMaker File Size Question
                jnardozza

I think I've discovered the issue:

The file is testing the speed difference between creating records via:

A looping script using the "New Record" script step

A looping script using the "Duplicate Record" script step

A script performing an export/import routine to create new records

A portal creating new records via a relationship

The second test, duplicating records, is the offender in this case. For reasons unknown to me, duplicating a record is taking up a huge amount of space. I imagine something strange must be going on with the indexing.