4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 6:09 AM by siplus

Slow performance and file size increase

rcmurphy@mac.com

I have been having issues with a solution that is stored on a server. I created the solution with FMP13 on my mac, choosing the minimum version to open the file as FMP12 (it never occurred to me that I could not modify it using FMP12). Once on the server, I was unable to access the file on my mac so I made numerous modifications on my PC using FMP12. The file grew tremendously and became very buggy. I finally found the information below in the knowledge base, and I suspect this is exactly what is happening in my case.

Saving a layout with an unknown object causes slow performance and file size increase | FileMaker

Saving a layout in FileMaker Pro 12 that contains an unknown object or an object from a newer version of FileMaker Pro causes the file to become slower and slower and the file size to increase rapidly over time.

For example:

1. Create a file in FileMaker Pro 13
      2. Enter Layout mode, add a Popover onto the layout (which will be unknown object for FileMaker 12).
      3. Save the file and close it.
      4. Open the file in FileMaker Pro 12
      5. Enter Layout mode, insert a rectangle.
      6. Move the rectangle a little bit and save the layout, repeat this process 20 times.

Result: As you complete step 6, FileMaker will use more and more memory to complete and the file size increases significantly.

WORKAROUND:

Modify and save the layout in FileMaker Pro 13 and the file size will restore to the correct size

I need to continue modifying the file, and I can only access the file using FMP12. Does anyone know of another workaround other than recreating the solution using FMP12?

• 1. Re: Slow performance and file size increase
          Markus Schneider

First: Don't modify a file with an older version of FMP when You added methods before that are not available in the older version.

Then: Why couldn't You access the file on the server? Did it not appear when choosing the host? Or was no host available?

YOu could also install the V13 on the PC, but it looks like a network problem.

Edit: What does 'server' mean? A FileMaker server or a fileserver?

• 2. Re: Slow performance and file size increase
            rcmurphy@mac.com

First: Don't modify a file with an older version of FMP when You added methods before that are not available in the older version. I guess I've learned this the hard way-- I thought by choosing the minimum version, FileMaker would not add features that were not compatible. But, I've already done this, so I'm asking if there is something I can do other than recreate the solution, if FMP12 is all I have to work with. The file is buggy and the size has ballooned.

Then: Why couldn't You access the file on the server? Did it not appear when choosing the host? Or was no host available? It was a network issue with my employment. I used to be able to access it using my mac, but no longer able to do that.

YOu could also install the V13 on the PC, but it looks like a network problem. Not possible, my company is still using FMP12.

Edit: What does 'server' mean? A FileMaker server or a fileserver? Filemaker Server within the company at a different location.

• 3. Re: Slow performance and file size increase
              Mike_Mitchell

"Does anyone know of another workaround other than recreating the solution using FMP12?"

Revert to an archived backup? Is that an option?

• 4. Re: Slow performance and file size increase
                siplus

Looks like your question contains the answer. Get the file off the server, open with mac v13, go into layout mode, draw a rectangle, set it to be red, copy it then browse all layouts and paste on each layout the same rectangle into the same "area". Save a compressed copy. Open compressed copy with 13 on mac, go through all layouts, click on the red rect and delete it. Save a compressed copy again. Open it with fm pro 12, save it compressed. Put this on the server. Did that fix the problem ?