1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 11:06 AM by erolst

Portal Filtering - too many cases needed

glorifindal

Greetings

I'm filtering a portal with 5 drop down fields … and beginning to despair of ever getting to the end of the Case statements needed...

The following is JUST for ONE field ...

Case(

// 1 field

not IsEmpty( field1 ) and IsEmpty( field2 ) and IsEmpty( field3 ) and IsEmpty( field4 ) and IsEmpty( field5 ) ; field1.s = field1 ;

IsEmpty( field1 ) and not IsEmpty( field2 ) and IsEmpty( field3 ) and IsEmpty( field4 ) and IsEmpty( field5 ) ; field2.s = field2 ;

IsEmpty( field1 ) and IsEmpty( field2 ) and not IsEmpty( field3 ) and IsEmpty( field4 ) and IsEmpty( field5 ) ; field3.s = field3 ;

IsEmpty( field1 ) and IsEmpty( field2 ) and IsEmpty( field3 ) and not IsEmpty( field4 ) and IsEmpty( field5 ) ; field4.s = field4 ;

IsEmpty( field1 ) and IsEmpty( field2 ) and IsEmpty( field3 ) and IsEmpty( field4 ) and not IsEmpty( field5 ) ; field5.s = field5 ;

// 2 fields

etc, etc

)

All that for just using one field in the filter

Is there some way of avoiding this Case madness? The amount of possible combinations for 5 fields is silly to enter into a filter I think

Orr perhaps I'm just being plain stupid here...

Kindest

Glorifindal

• 1. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
          thurmes

Wait, if you're filtering a portal then it's just a case of whether the record is visible, right? And you'll always want a record visible when any of the fields 1...5 are populated?

Isn't the easiest way

not IsEmpty ( field1 ) + not IsEmpty ( field2 ) + ... ?

I'm probably just missing something, because I don't see what you are using field1.s, etc, to do once you've set them in this Case statement.

• 2. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
            erolst

glorifindal wrote:

Is there some way of avoiding this Case madness? The amount of possible combinations for 5 fields is silly to enter into a filter I think

I suggest you explain what these five fields represent and what filter conditions you want to implement.

At a guess, you want to express …

not IsEmpty ( LayoutTO::field1 ) and LayoutTO::field1 = PortalTO::field1

OR

not IsEmpty ( LayoutTO::field2 ) and LayoutTO::field2 = PortalTO::field2

OR

not IsEmpty ( LayoutTO::field3 ) and LayoutTO::field3 = PortalTO::field3

OR

not IsEmpty ( LayoutTO::field4 ) and LayoutTO::field4 = PortalTO::field4

OR

not IsEmpty ( LayoutTO::field5 ) and LayoutTO::field5 = PortalTO::field5

• 3. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
              Mike Feeney

The Patterncount function is quite powerful and often overlooked. Here is the basic portal filtering technique I typically use, which can also be used for real-time filtering if you attach a script trigger that refreshes the portal results after each keystroke.

Patterncount ( portalField1 ; filterField1 )

or Patterncount ( portalField2 ; filterField2 )

or Patterncount ( portalField3 ; filterField3 )

or etc

• 4. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                siplus

instead of filtering, the whole portal could be based upon a relationship between a global field and your data.

The 5 filters have a trigger that recalcs the global, setting it To List(field1;Field2;field3;field4;field5).

• 5. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                  glorifindal

Sorry - perhaps I should have stated:

I use a let statement at the start of the calculation -

Let([

field1.g = TO::field_One_Global ;

field2.g = TO::field_Two_Global ;

field1 = TO~RelatedTO::field1;

field2 = TO~RelatedTO::field2

etc

I did not use the proper field names in here as I did not see a need to.

However, the long list of subsequent Case statements are still needed.

I just find that writing out all the combinations very tedious.

Example:

IsEmpty( field1.g ) and not IsEmpty( field2.g ) and not IsEmpty( field3.g ) and IsEmpty( field4.g ) and IsEmpty( field5.g ) ; field2 = field2.g and field3 = field3.g ;

This for just 2 fields / 1 combination…tedious

• 6. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                    erolst

FuneralDataManager wrote:

The Patterncount function is quite powerful and often overlooked

By whom?

• 7. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                      glorifindal

Adding a relationship would be another way to do it … I have actually used portal filtering only a few times, and thought it might be useful - but when there are so many filter fields to choose from, hmm need to reconsider.

• 8. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                        glorifindal

By me for one :-)

• 9. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                          glorifindal

I'll have a look at this and see if it could provide a shorter amount of Cases needed

• 10. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                            coherentkris

PatternCount is a little more resource intensive than Count ( ) as PatternCount has to parse the entire contents of the field.

Count ( table::field1 ; table::field2 ; table::field3 ) returns 3 when table::field1 AND table::field2 AND table::field3 all contain a valid value

• 11. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                              siplus

Your whole case thing could boil down to this:

Set Variable [$EmptySituation; Value: IsEmpty(PF5::field1) & IsEmpty(PF5::field2)& IsEmpty(PF5::field3)& IsEmpty(PF5::field4)& IsEmpty(PF5::field5)]

Set Variable [$Empties; Value:PatternCount($EmptySituation;"0")]

If [$Empties = 0]

Exit Script []

Else

#work to do

Set Variable [$i; Value:0]

Loop

Exit Loop If [Let ($i = $i + 1; $i > 5)]

Set Field By Name ["PF5::field" & $i & ".s"; ""]

If [not GetAsBoolean(Middle($EmptySituation;$i;1))]

Set Field By Name ["PF5::field" & $i & ".s"; GetField("PF5::field" & $i)]

End If

End Loop

End If

Commit Records/Requests []

but then... beyond showing what remains after boiling spaghetti for 3 hours, it's useless.

Go with the unfiltered, global-based portal, imho.

• 12. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                                erolst

glorifindal wrote:

However, the long list of subsequent Case statements are still needed.

I just find that writing out all the combinations very tedious.

This for just 2 fields / 1 combination…tedious

I'm beginning to find your usage of the word “tedious” becoming a bit … well …

Anyway, as you have seen from the replies posts, you don't have to write all these combinations – because you'd either  use a relationship, or employ “The Power of Boolean Logic®”, aka “code smarter” … and you still haven't explicitly stated what conditions you want to implement (“I want to see a record from the other table /a record in that other table shall be considered related IF some condition …”)

• 13. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                                  erolst

glorifindal wrote:

a shorter amount of Cases

Chances are that you won't need a single Case() – see the code example in my earlier post.

• 14. Re: Portal Filtering - too many cases needed
                                    jgalt

siplus wrote:

instead of filtering, the whole portal could be based upon a relationship between a global field and your data.

The 5 filters have a trigger that recalcs the global, setting it To List(field1;Field2;field3;field4;field5).

I would highly recommend trying siplus' suggestion.

1 2 3 Previous Next