1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 5:51 AM by mikebeargie

Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

jayankurian

Please advice…

This is what I am planning to do.

Our Church is hosting a conference in Buffalo and I created a solution to keep track of more than 600 participants’ registration, room
      assignment, airport pick-up and drop, parking, transportation etc.

Hotel provide us Wi-Fi connection…

My questions is, how do I host this file on a server and allow 10 laptops at the hotel to access the file via Wi-Fi?  Our church has a Web site and a web server. Is it possible to host the solution in Church web server thru FileMaker Server 13 and those 10 laptops can access the hosted file using the Open Remote File option? Assuming those laptops have FileMaker Pro 13 installed.

What about file access thru FM Webdirect? Do I need to install the client on each laptop to access the file thru Webdirect?

Appreciate any advice…I have no exposure of hosting a file on a web server or PHP...

• 1. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
          Fimano

Very short answer:

You can definitely host your file via FileMaker Server 13.

If you want to use WebDirect, the users don't need FMP installed. But then you need a suitable installation on your server, that is, FMS and the built-in web server on Mac or Windows.

I the users have FMP installed already, I would take advantage of that.

Kind regards,

Jens

• 2. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
            jayankurian

Hi Fimano,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice..

I am assuming that if FMP installed on clients, I may access the file fasterer..Please correct me if I am wrong..

Thanks again

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

You can host your file on a host site like fmphost.com or one of many others which I use since Web Direct is included with the monthly fee of $20. The small fee makes it worthwhile and you will be sharing your host with many others so make sure that you secure the file and don't leak people's private information. Quite often newbies put up a file on a shared host and don't secure it leaving all the personal data open to the world.

Since a commercial host will do all of the work and provide FileMaker Server, etc. the price is a bargain.

• 4. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                mikebeargie

I've had loads of experience with "hotel wifi" before, and let me tell you, if you have 600 people counting on your system for tracking, then DO NOT host it on your current webserver, or any server that is outside of the building.

My advice would be to get a mac mini, filemaker server, and filemaker pro for all of your 10 computers. Additionally, I would get my own wireless router and switch, to setup a private network that my system can run on.

Just think, if you're getting wifi from the hotel, so are the other 600 people that are going to be there. Not only is that network going to be sketchy, but you're opening up yourself to vulnerabilities as well being on the public network. Even if the hotel tells you it's your own network, it most likely is just a subnet running on the same hardware, so wifi access points will fail as hundreds of users connect to them. It's a mess, I've been there, and I would never recommend it as a "reliable" solution, more like a last resort.

As for using WebDirect vs. filemaker pro for the clients to connect, your webserver probably does not have good enough specs to run WebDirect, and if's it's a LAMP (linux) webserver, it will not even run filemaker. WebDirect isn't the same as running a website and has an entirely different set of considerations both in hosting and in database design. In that case, it's much easier and quicker to setup a lightweight filemaker server (mac mini), running on a private network, with filemaker pro clients connecting on the same private network.

• 5. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                  mikebeargie

IF you can get the wifi to work, then it's a solution. But what happens when the WAN connection is running so slow that you start getting disconnect errors, or it's so slow that nobody can use it? 600 people in one location makes me worry.

• 6. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

Pro or Go will definitely work better than Web Direct and avoid some of the issues you have to work around for Web Direct.

If you are going to limit access to 10 computers, you could use one computer to run FIleMaker Pro and network with the others via wifi.

Set up your own WiFi router with an address of say 198.162.100.10 and give the 10 addresses in that range and limit access to those 10 computers. This will prevent conflict with the hotels wifi.

If iPads are available you could use GO on them and save the cost of installing Pro.

• 7. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                      wimdecorte

jackrodgers wrote:

If you are going to limit access to 10 computers, you could use one computer to run FIleMaker Pro and network with the others via wifi.

Peer-to-Peer hosting is limited to 5 concurrent connections...

Sharing databases on a network

• 8. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

Interesting. When did FileMaker INK reduce the number of connections? It used to be 9 or so.

• 9. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

I did the same thing. The post is that 600 people will be registering but only 10 computers will be involved in the registration.

• 10. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...

I've had loads of experience with "hotel wifi" before, and let me tell you, if you have 600 people counting on your system for tracking, then DO NOT host it on your current webserver, or any server that is outside of the building.

I've used a hotspot modem for this. In fact, I was one of the first users of Sprint's cellular data way back when it had not fancy name. I think I got about 2400 out of it before other people began using it and then it dropped to about 1800 or less. That is NOT megabytes or terrabytes.

I've used a T-Mobile hotspot which will serve up to 8 computers. Standing outside near one of their towers I got 20+ Megabytes which competed with cable for speed. Further away, less and buildings and trees can obstruct, just like cellular which it is.

• 11. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                              mikebeargie

The fastest system will always be a local private network with a filemaker server and filemaker pro clients.

External server are limited by network availability and network speed. For events like this where a connection is paramount, why take the chance when it's cheap insurance to run a local private network?

• 12. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                                mikebeargie

right, 10 users to filemaker, but in hosting remotely and using the public wifi, those ten users would still be subject to the connectivity of the other 600 users. All 610 users would be going through the same access points, same switches, same routers, etc.. when the entire network starts to go down, then systems become unusable. I've seen this happen before in conferences as few as 50 people. It's happened at devcon itself numerous times!

Every user nowadays has a phone. Some have tablets and ipads as well. What happens to a network when a thousand devices all connect and use it at the same time?

If you want rock solid, plan something that's rock solid.

If you want to roll the dice and rely on a system that can (and has) fail, then my advice can be ignored. I'd severely recommend a backup plan.

• 14. Re: Request advice to host a file on a Webserver...
                                  siplus

Given the situation, the planned interaction and the setup, I wonder if Google sheets could a better alternative or not...

1 2 3 Previous Next