8 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 12:29 AM by FileMakerProRocks

FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?

gilbro

Does anyone know if a file DB can be hosted on one FMserver and accessed by 2 FMservers when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?

• 1. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
          davidhead

A single FileMaker Server can handle more than 250 FileMaker Pro connections. The specs state that FileMaker have tested up to 250.

However, I am not clear exactly what you are asking because you mention concurrent connections – these are used for FileMaker Go and FileMaker WebDirect connections to FileMaker Server.

Also confused about the two servers accessing another server? A file hosted on one FileMaker Server cannot be accessed in any way by another FileMaker Server.

Cheers, David

• 2. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
            gilbro

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is what FileMaker says about FileMaker Server

FileMaker server 13 is tested and certified for:

• 250 users of FileMaker Pro
            • 250 users of FileMaker Go
            • 50 WebDirect users
            • 200 Custom Web Publishing
            The amount accessible is dependent on the following variables:
            • Solution complexity
            • User tasks
            • Hardware (HDD is the most important)
            • Network latency from network speed/network hops (especially for external users)

I've also read that for those who use FMP AND web direct people should use a 2 servers configuration. One for access with FMP and another one for access with web direct.  So I was wondering if we could use 2 FMServers for FMP access if the number of users gets over 250.

Gilles

• 3. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
              jormond

1. David is a FMI employee.

2. Be careful with loose use of the terminology. A 2 server deployment isn't exactly the same as having 2 FileMaker Servers set up.

FM isn't saying the server won't work with more than 250 connections from FileMaker Pro. It's just that they have only tested it with 250 connections.

What is the reason you want to divide the load over 2 servers?

• 4. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
                gilbro

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for the info about David  :-)

My use of the FM terminology can get very loose sometimes as my primary language is not english :-)

The reason why i was asking is that i am working on a prototype and i am wondering the size of companies (number of connections) to which i could sell the final product.  Can we go over 250 connections with one file database?

Also I am wondering if we need to pay for more than one FMserver if we want more than 250 connections.

• 5. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
                  jormond

Understood. No worries.

CAN you go over 250, yes? SHOULD you go over 250? That is a much different question. Unless your solution is highly optimized, and you have fine tuned every script and calculation, and make sure the customer has an adequate server and network, it will choke before you get to 100 users.

I've seen solutions that have a lot of users. But it takes a lot of experience and understanding of how FM works.

• 6. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
                    azez

A single FMS 13 provide 2 machine development for better performance,they address Master and Worker.easy to say Master to manage FMP, FMGo and Worker to Manage WebDirect,. But it still uses one server which your database still in one machine (Master).

About Concurrent user for FMP u don't need to pay extra, you can use more than 250, make sure your server processor and RAM is enough and use RAID(10) with RAID Controller,network also need to be monitor.If you want to buy a new FMS to extend your FMP user, you need synchronize  your data between two server just like cluster server.it will coz more money extend and a little bit complex process. FMS also not support yet multiple server with a single licence.

Different case for FMGo and WebDirect, in this case you need to upgrade your licence.Otherwise the error "the maximum number of  users allowed to connect to this server has been exceeded"  will appear.

That how i understand.

• 7. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
                      azez

Yes .. .Strongly agree. Especially for Filemaker. Our department have QA just for tuning.

• 8. Re: FMserver when the number of concurrent connexions is over 250?
                        FileMakerProRocks

davidhead wrote:

A file hosted on one FileMaker Server cannot be accessed in any way by another FileMaker Server.

However, MirrorSync from 360Works features:

"With MirrorSync 2 server-to-server sync, keep every database in sync, even if it isn’t in FileMaker!"

360Works MirrorSync 2 Now Available! Featuring Faster Syncs, Server to Server, and Much More! | Business Wire