1 2 3 4 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 8:35 AM by tomp

FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?

dchretien

Hi,

I just downloaded FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced from the FBA area and installed it on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite).  Every time that I launch the app, it "unexpectedly quits."  I've tried restarting the machine, and it made no difference.  The first launch after a re-boot takes about 20-30 seconds before the crash.  Subsequent launches crash immediately.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  (I'm wondering if I might have a RAM problem, and it's hitting a bad address.)

--Dennis Chretien

• 1. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
          steveromig

Dennis Chretien wrote:

Hi,

I just downloaded FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced from the FBA area and installed it on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite).  Every time that I launch the app, it "unexpectedly quits."  I've tried restarting the machine, and it made no difference.  The first launch after a re-boot takes about 20-30 seconds before the crash.  Subsequent launches crash immediately.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  (I'm wondering if I might have a RAM problem, and it's hitting a bad address.)

--Dennis Chretien

Dennis -

First thing I would check is plug-ins.  Remove any plug-ins you might be using and see if that helps.

Secondly, I'd delete your preferences file and see what happens.

Been running FileMaker Pro 14 on 10.10.3 for quite some time and have had no issues.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
            dchretien

HI Steve,

The first crash was without plugins installed.  The preview ran fine, but this one seems to have a problem.  I will try trashing preferences, though.  That very-well could be it, but I hate losing all of my settings.  (That was one of the nice things about this version, that it actually read the preferences from the older version and restored everything.)

--Dennis

• 3. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
              wimdecorte

steveromig wrote:

Been running FileMaker Pro 14 on 10.10.3 for quite some time and have had no issues.

Same here, no issues.

Be sure to do a disk repair / permissions repair...

• 4. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                crusecontrol

Yep, reported it, no solution yet. Seems to not like intel processors because it is ok on an i7 MB Air of mine, but not two different intel machines.. FYI, no plug-ins installed etc. Does seem to be a Core 2 Duo issue, or perhaps non-Apple spec'd SSD.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                  Markus Schneider

Got an i7 MacBook Air here, no problems so far (it's not tha latest Air, from about 2014)

• 6. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                    NickLightbody

No problems here.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                      mbk28

Hi,

I think your computer or/and system are too old.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                        dchretien

Well,  I removed the Prefs file and restarted the machine again, just to make sure.  When I clicked the icon in the dock, it bounced for almost two minutes before stopping, but not indicating that it was running (no dot under the icon).  It did show up in the Application Switcher, however, so it was trying to run, at least.  After another two minutes, or so, it finally opened the QuickStart window, and, strangely enough, it seemed to have all of my preferences in-place, despite the fact that I'd removed the Preferences file. 

I was able to select a remote server, and when I provided my credentials, it showed me the list of databases on that server, and then gave me a pinwheel for about two or three minutes, and then, it crashed again.

I'm suspecting that I have some other problem with this machine that this happens to be uncovering for me now...

• 9. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                          dchretien

The system is the latest, but the computer is a bit old.  On the other hand, I have clients who are using fifteen to twenty-year-old macs.  Of course, they're not running the latest of anything, but they keep telling me that they can't see spending the money for new machines until these die.

I haul my main machine everywhere, so it gets bounced around quit a bit, but I usually end up replacing them only when I get tired of how slow they are compared to new machines, not because they've died.  (I'm getting close on this one, I must admit.)

• 10. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                            mbk28

sorry I don't see your on Yosemite I think you need to seach in documentation if there is somthing about old computer, don't remeber if there is something about it

• 11. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                              dchretien

Went to check to delete any new Preferences file that had been created, and there was none.  (At least not in ~/Library/Preferences/)  Repaired Disk Permissions (again) and restarted the machine (again), and this time I launched and I was able to select several different remote servers and see the files on them without any crashes.

I did not open any databases.

I quit, and relaunched the application.  It opened almost immediately, to the last server I'd been browsing.  When I clicked on a different remote server, I received the pinwheel, and after a short pause, it crashed again.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                                siplus

crash = go examine your logs in Console

• 13. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                                  dchretien

Yeah, I was going to post the crash log, but they're usually large and full of information that doesn't really help.  That said, here's what I believe is the key part of it.  This is in every one of the crash reports, but with a different thread number at the front.  Other than the thread number being different each time, it's the same exception type and address. (0 isn't very helpful, as far as that goes.)

Crashed Thread:        2  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

I believe i will try uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it to see if that helps.

• 14. Re: FileMaker 14 Yosemite 10.10.3 Crashes?
                                    donntarris

Crashing here as well, consistently, attempting to start up FileMaker Pro trial from FileMaker web site.

Error is the same as yours dchretien.

MBP 2012 running 10.10.3

Permissions repaired.

I'll try it on another machine.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next