1 2 3 Previous Next 438 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 4:41 PM by matthew_odell

Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions

intex

Over night FM called the runtime „deprecated“:

“APIs, technologies, or features to be deprecated

As FileMaker Pro evolves, the list of APIs and technologies it supports may change. FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product, because the deprecated features may be deleted from this or a future version of the product.

• FileMaker Pro runtime
      • Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks
      • Support for 32-bit FileMaker Pro”

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14502

I know, I know, I was told by some others here, that this might happen in the future, because FMI doesn´t earn any money with the runtime besides selling FM PRO Advanced. So I was warned, but honestly I couldn´t really imagine that FMI might ever do such a dumb step - see below.

And besides the fact that we built a long time and stable business over the last 20 years relying very much on the runtime, I just want to warn all of you who might think “who cares?”.

“No runtime” has much more consequences than you might think in the first run.

What´s impossible without the runtime?

• Small single user solutions (the whole bunch of FM starter solutions and Bento like solutions). Who will spend 400 Euros plus for a small inventory db?
      • Solutions that cost less than 400 Euros for the single user (the whole Mac OS X appstore would be inexistent). By the way: Any hope, that FM Advanced could grow up to a tool for making appstore apps is definitely killed by this decision.
      • Selfrunning demos – this belongs to larger FM PRO based solutions too. Would you like to advise a potential customer to make two separate downloads, to register at FileMaker for getting FM Pro, kicking two installers, just to have a quick look at your solution?
      • Light and entry versions for single users of your bigger solutions. No chance to open the door for later, bigger business.
      • Kiosk solutions for less than 400.- Euros
      • Selfrunning catalogs on CDs, DVDs etc.
      • Quick and dirty solutions for someone in the organization that has no installation of FM Pro. Such solutions have no chance to evolve to bigger solutions anymore. How often does it start with a hack like thingy?
      • Data Entry solutions for parttime workers, data entry for statistic solutions with a free runtime based program.

So hopefully and with your support FMI might rethink this strategic error, which it is, I think.

• 1. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
          johnbuckingham

I agree. With feeling. This was great way to showcase my solutions and I have generated significant revenue (for myself and for FMI) by showing folks what can be done with FileMaker. Bad decision...

• 2. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
            Markus Schneider

With all the understanding for the reasoning: Only the latest 2 version of OSX - this hurts! We got many customers running 10.8, running older Mac's as well that were not really fit for Yosemite. And with the 'new OS every 12 months', I'm not really happy

Runtimes were often used as 'starters', for gadgets like Bank-transaction solutions. Now, that will cost about 400.- more, here... (one single user licence)

• 3. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
              Fred(CH)

Don't want a polemic; but it is truly sad for some of us .

Discovered FileMaker Pro for the very first time few years ago, when i was searching for a platform to create a "cheap" / "starting segment" accounting solution for very small business, freelances, non profit associative etc...

And it had a large success . Definitely it would not be possible without Runtime solution, because to be competitive, the price of my solution is far lower than FileMaker Pro. And i must eat...

For that reason, if when FileMaker 15 will come, and then the Runtime solution maybe disappeared, if FileMaker doesn't offer an alternative (why not a royalty-system), it will simply kill my business model.

So be positive and see what will happen 18 month later...

Fred

• 4. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                Markus Schneider

There were a couple of entries in the 'wishlist' (aka feature request) for a replacement for the runtime solution that would also serve on iOS. This sounds good!

On the other hand, when a developer is still supporting a deprecated method doesn't sound that good..

But let's take it easy (-:

• 5. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                  TorstenBernhard

While there is good reason for deprecating old technology, a decent supplier to the industry would provide a migration guide to his customers at the time of the deprecation announcement and give costumers sufficient time for migration planning.

This brings us back to the request for a road map.

FileMaker is touted for it's high usability and great user interface capability. With great frustration I see that one major usability-affecting bug I discovered in v13 (rogue cursor marker in text fields in Windows client) made it from v13 into v14. Bug reports regarding usability blunders in the Windows client are countered with - Silence. FMI prefers yeasty developers reading the crystal ball rather than making business decisions based on available facts. So who's next on the extinction list - the Windows client?

FileMaker deserves better than being marketed like a consumer lifestyle product.

• 6. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                    deltaworx

Loosing the ability to create runtimes (or any other royalty free solution) means loosing more than half of my customers. Nearly every customer starts with a runtimes solution, many switching to a networked version with FM Pro/Server. Without runtimes its not possible to market low-budget solutions for startups or small business.

This would mean I have to look for an alternative platform after 20 years of filemaking…

• 7. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                      MarcelMore

this is really bad news!

also the ending support for OSX Mavericks is a major drawback for the majority of my customer base...

• 8. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                        Markus Schneider

telling the developers that a method will be deprecated somewhere in the future is not bad - but I would like to get some more information.. If there is a replacement based on new technology that serves well - cool!

• 9. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                          FileMakerProRocks

The more corporate, the more distance from customers, the more self dynamic FMI gets, the more we will see unwanted results!

• 10. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                            lavendt

I would highly suggest that you all compose a letter to FMI and tell what that decision will mean to your business in a sober and explanatory way.

While it at times, might not appear like, FMI is really listening to the community and it's customers.

I am sure they will take your concerns seriously, if you present your situation with as much detailed information as possibly.

Maybe they have thought of a replacement fro runtime or maybe they do not realize the problems that a lot of business face.

While I have created several runtimes for various purposes, I have always wanted a very lightweight run-only client, that we could pay a license fee for. I don't mind FMI making money, as that is needed in order to evolve the platform.

The lack of pdf support in runtime is really bad and has to do with licensing conditions to the components in FMP that does this.

If we pay a license fee for a lightweight/runtime client, everyone would benefit.

Anyways, I think that if everyone is writing letters to FMI, maybe even to Dominique, I am sure they will listening.

Also, just because runtime is now on the deprecated list, does not write in stone that it is definitely going to be killed.

I do agree that with this move, and having a lot of business depend on this feature, it is very important that we get to know about what alternative will be in the future.

• 11. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                              TomDupre

As far as removing the runtime capabilities is concerned:

"FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product,"

... is not an option, unless other technologies include Microsoft Access for example which has a free runtime version.

If the runtime feature were withdrawn, it would certainly be very damaging to my business - and doubtless many other businesses. I have a number of customers who only use/need a runtime version or at least initially, but frequently will go on to require a networked solution. I have a customer who started out with a runtime and now has 30 licenses.

I appreciate that FileMaker doesn't derive revenue directly from runtimes but indirectly it does for a number of reasons - as in the example I've mentioned above (this and other reasons have already been mentioned by others). There will also be potential developers who may not start with FileMaker in the first place if the product no longer includes this feature (eg they might choose such MS Access or Servoy etc.).

If despite what I would have thought were good reasons, FileMaker believes the runtime is not worthwhile from their point of view, another option might be to charge an extra amount to developers to allow them to produce runtimes - a special FileMaker Advanced Plus version or perhaps an annual fee. This would produce some extra revenue and also prevent many of their developer users from being seriously let down by the company.

• 12. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                                jml

Deprecating FileMaker Pro runtimes will make FMP as useful as a one-legged stool and a wobbly one at that.  It will effectively cut off any avenue to the consumer market—Apple Inc.'s primary market.  Think again FMI!

• 13. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                                  marianco

I agree.  I think this is the dumbest move from Filemaker I have ever seen.

They have to come up with a better solution than cutting out the small database user's needs.

You can only hope that they can come out with a compiled runtime model as a replacement.  Wishfully.

Currently the only other option is to use FMPro Migrator to convert your Filemaker Pro database into either

1) A Microsoft Access 2013 database - for which Microsoft allows stand-alone runtimes

2) A stand-alone LiveCode application - which you can sell on the Mac App store or iOS App Store or the Windows app store or the Android app store.

3) An SQL database

Microsoft's Office365 for Business offers a compelling alternative to Filemaker Pro.  For only $150 a year per user ($12.50 a month) one gets:

1. Microsoft's Office Suite including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Microsoft Access for PCs

2. 1 TB of OneDrive (soon to be unlimited storage) for cloud storage - the only one which is HIPAA security compliant

3. Free hosting of your web-enabled Access database - essentially a free version of Filemaker Server but hosted online.

4. Outlook email - again the only email which is HIPAA security compliant.

5. Skype for Business secure video conferencing.

6. License to allow installation of Office on 5 Macs or PCs, 5 iOS devices.

I wish Microsoft would port Access to a Mac version to complete it's Mac Office265 suite. Access is pure SQL underneath.  Though harder to use than Filemaker Pro - it is more comparable to 4th Dimension - the price for users is enormously compelling.

Without Filemaker Pro's runtime, it would actually cost less to buy Microsoft Windows and run it in Parallels in order to run a stand-alone Microsoft Access runtime database than to buy Filemaker Pro to run a database solution.

• 14. Re: Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions
                                    BillCollins

I agree. This is a bad decision for FileMaker Inc as it kills a real avenue for future business for FileMaker Inc as well as for developers.

1 2 3 Previous Next