Over night FM called the runtime „deprecated“:
“APIs, technologies, or features to be deprecated
As FileMaker Pro evolves, the list of APIs and technologies it supports may change. FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product, because the deprecated features may be deleted from this or a future version of the product.
- FileMaker Pro runtime
- Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Support for 32-bit FileMaker Pro”
I know, I know, I was told by some others here, that this might happen in the future, because FMI doesn´t earn any money with the runtime besides selling FM PRO Advanced. So I was warned, but honestly I couldn´t really imagine that FMI might ever do such a dumb step - see below.
And besides the fact that we built a long time and stable business over the last 20 years relying very much on the runtime, I just want to warn all of you who might think “who cares?”.
“No runtime” has much more consequences than you might think in the first run.
What´s impossible without the runtime?
- Small single user solutions (the whole bunch of FM starter solutions and Bento like solutions). Who will spend 400 Euros plus for a small inventory db?
- Solutions that cost less than 400 Euros for the single user (the whole Mac OS X appstore would be inexistent). By the way: Any hope, that FM Advanced could grow up to a tool for making appstore apps is definitely killed by this decision.
- Selfrunning demos – this belongs to larger FM PRO based solutions too. Would you like to advise a potential customer to make two separate downloads, to register at FileMaker for getting FM Pro, kicking two installers, just to have a quick look at your solution?
- Light and entry versions for single users of your bigger solutions. No chance to open the door for later, bigger business.
- Kiosk solutions for less than 400.- Euros
- Selfrunning catalogs on CDs, DVDs etc.
- Quick and dirty solutions for someone in the organization that has no installation of FM Pro. Such solutions have no chance to evolve to bigger solutions anymore. How often does it start with a hack like thingy?
- Data Entry solutions for parttime workers, data entry for statistic solutions with a free runtime based program.
So hopefully and with your support FMI might rethink this strategic error, which it is, I think.