9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 4:36 PM by Greg

FMS 14 Install fails

Greg

Good Day All

MAC Mini

OSX 10.10.3

FMPA 12,13,14 installed but not running during install.

I have been unable to install FMS 14 on mu MAC Mini.  I receive a message saying Port 5003 is in use and be made available to FMS 14.

Firewall is turned Off.  Port Scan on private IP address does not show Port 5003 in use, however Port Scan on 127.0.0.1 shows Port 5003 in use by FMPRO-Internal [What does this mean]

Is there a way to disable Port 5003 on 127.0.0.1

I have a FMWare Fusion Partition with Windows 8.1 installed but not running,

I have been successful installing FMS 14 on the Windows Partion.  It is currently uninstalled.

I prefer to run FMS 14 on OS X 10,10.3

Any help will be appreciated....

greg

• 1. Re: FMS 14 Install fails

I am not using a Mac at this time but I will throw out a possible answer. FileMaker seems to have isolation issues. I've notice when switching from one version to another that it will tell my that it can't share files even though I quit the other version.

Did you try restarting and then the install? This might sever any connections Pro left behind when it quit.

If that doesn't work, then how about starting up in safe mode and doing the install?

And of course, call FileMaker support. You'd probably get the best answers there.

• 2. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
            steveromig

Jack Rodgers wrote:

I am not using a Mac at this time but I will throw out a possible answer. FileMaker seems to have isolation issues. I've notice when switching from one version to another that it will tell my that it can't share files even though I quit the other version.

Did you try restarting and then the install? This might sever any connections Pro left behind when it quit.

If that doesn't work, then how about starting up in safe mode and doing the install?

And of course, call FileMaker support. You'd probably get the best answers there.

To piggyback on the good suggestions from Jack, you can also consult the Activity Monitor to see if there are any unexpected FileMaker (or other) processes running at the time you are installing.  Typically, but not always, you will see something in there that is causing the problem when you get the error message you are getting.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
              Greg

Good Day Steve,

Still unable to install FMS 14 on my MAC.  I am still receiving a message saying PORT 5003 is in use and needs to be  open and made available for use by FMS.  I have tried Firewall On / Off and Port forwarding with my Airport Router.

Doing a port scan I receive the following with IP address 127.0.0.1 Open TCP Port: 5003   fmpro-internal.

When I scan my private Network IP address there is nothing for Port 5003.

What does fmpro-internal mean and how can I eliminate this so I can install FMS?

What Services should look out for?  Is there a list of FM services available for a MAC.

Thanks,

Greg

• 4. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                wimdecorte

Greg wrote:

What does fmpro-internal mean and how can I eliminate this so I can install FMS?

All it means is that port 5003 is registered to FMP for internal use (it's the data port that FMS and FMP-as-a-host listens to).

You mention that you have FMPA installed on that same box, chances are that it is running.  When you launch FMPA it grabs port 5003.   If you then want to install FMS it sees that FMPA already has it open.

• 5. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                  Greg

Thanks for your reply.

I understand what it says just wondering why it is saying that.  I have quit FMPA 12,13,and 14 but something must still be running.  You mentioned Port 5003 might "still be registered to FMP.  Would that be in some "conf" file or somewhere else that I can check and edit?

I have also uninstalled all 3 versions of FMPA that I currently have installed and that made no difference when I attempted to install FMS 14 and that  is why I am thinking it may be contained in some kind conf file.  That is also why I find it strange that when I scan my private IP network address no mention is made of Port 5003 being open to in use but when I scan 127.0.0.1 it says in use with the following "Open TCP Port: 5003   fmpro-internal".

I hope this explains my situation better.

Greg

• 6. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                    wimdecorte

Greg wrote:

You mentioned Port 5003 might "still be registered to FMP.  Would that be in some "conf" file or somewhere else that I can check and edit?

No.  The port is claimed/opened by either FMP or FMS on startup.

The port is registered to FM by IANA, the authority that oversees port number assignments:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

It is not set in any config file, its use is hard-wired into FMP and FMS.  You can't turn it off or change it.

Clearly something on your system is using port 5003.  Typically that can only be FMS or FMP.  But it can happen that some other application or service is using that port even if it is not supposed to.

• 7. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                      wimdecorte

Google the use of "netstat" to see the various options it has to show what service is listening to what port.  That will give you a Process ID (PID) that you can either kill outright from the command line or - recommended - figure out what it is and what it is doing.

• 8. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                        Greg

Thanks, I'll do just that.

I understand that Port 5003 is registered to FM and I will try to see if

something else is using it and I see where FM would be shown as using it

even if it's not.

I will post the results when complete.

Thanks again...

Greg

• 9. Re: FMS 14 Install fails
                          Greg

Thanks Wim

The culprit was CISCO Connect Anywhere VPN Client.  After uninstalling this program the install of FMS 14 went very smoothly

I did use netatat to find a link PID and traced from there.  In the Activity Monitor it was using PORT 5003.

Thanks for the help...

Greg