1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 6:41 AM by ibrahim_bittar

FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install

taylorsharpe

I'm familiar with the Command Line version of certificate installs and I see that can still be done.  But I want to try the new Admin Console version of importing a certificate.  I see where you go to the Security tab in the Admin Console and there is an "Import Certificate" button to import the certificate (*.crt file).  But how do I generate the CSR request to send to the Certificate Authority that will then send me back a *.crt file?  I only know how to do that from the Command Line like previously.  But if I go to https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fms14_help.pdf it tells me that if I create a CSR with the command line, then I have to use the command line to import the certificate.  I want to try the new way of doing it in the Admin Console.  I've been searching for a FileMaker Server 14 User Guide, but I can't seem to find it.  I just want the new instructions for FileMaker 14 to install a 3rd party certificate using the Admin Console and maybe I'm missing it on here somewhere.  But I really did try to find it.  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
          mikeo'neil

Hi Taylor,

The only information I have found is from the fms14_getting_started.pdf on pg. 69.

"Alternatively, there are tools that you can use to create a CSR so that you can request a certificate directly from a CA without using the FileMaker Server CLI commands. If you obtain a custom SSL certificate without using the CLI certificate command, you can import the certificate using Admin Console. On the Database Server > Security tab, click Import Certificate. "

Just have not found what tools they are talking about?

Later,

Mike

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
            taylorsharpe

"Alternatively, there are tools that you can use to create a CSR so that you can request a certificate directly from a CA without using the FileMaker Server CLI commands. If you obtain a custom SSL certificate without using the CLI certificate command, you can import the certificate using Admin Console. On the Database Server > Security tab, click Import Certificate

OK... the certificate authority needs a CSR request.  The FileMaker Admin Console does not have this ability.  And if you use the command line to create the CSR, then the instructions above say you have to use the command line to import the CRT file.  I was trying to find out how to get a CSR request without using the command line.  Or maybe I'm missing something. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
              taylorsharpe

Those are instructions for using Mac OS X Server app to configure server services with it such as Web Hosting, DNS, etc.  FileMaker specifically says we are not supposed to use the Server app and that FileMaker takes over these duties for us.  FileMaker and the Server app used to work well together and I miss those days. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                user19752

"Keychain Access" is an application in the "Utilities" folder in OSX, not OS X Server parts. Sorry I hadn't tested it myself to buy SSL cert using it, but tested for getting self signed one. so may work.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                  tcfitzgerald

Taylor,

You'll want to use openssl to generate the CSR independant of the FileMaker CLI certificate command.

The general syntax is:

openssl req -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout server.key -out server.csr

After issuing this command, you'll be asked for the extra subject info (city, state, organization, common name, etc).

If you are on a Mac, openssl is probably already installed.  You will probably need to install it if you are on Windows.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                    dburnham

Taylor, when I first went to www.cheapsslsecurity.com to purchase inexpensive multi-year certificates, I had to generate the CSR request from their web site.  I bought three, one for each of my servers.  It took a little but of struggle to get it right, but eventually, they responded with 2 text ones, one is is private key and the other is the CRT.  

I have those 2 text files saved, so it's good to know that I can install those with the new Admin console when I do my update to FMS 14.  Thanks for that tip.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                      wimdecorte

I don't think you'll want to do that.

What's the benefit you see from not using the supported fmsadmin command line?

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                        taylorsharpe

It looks like the Comodo Positive SSL certs do not work with FMS 14... or at least I couldn't get it to work.  So I just moved over to a supported one and got a Thawte certificate.  It cost $90 for 3 years whereas the cheap Comodo one was only $5 per year.  But $30 a year is still pretty good.  I purchased it through www.SSLs.com which is a pretty good discount place.  It was about the cheapest I could find now.  Plus if you have a production server, it is best to have an officially supported certificate.  I was just doing this on a development server, but the Thawte one will work for now and it wasn't that expensive. 

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                          taylorsharpe

wimdecorte said:

What's the benefit you see from not using the supported fmsadmin command line?

Well... I was jus trying to learn the new way to do things.  But when I installed the Thawte certificate, I just used the command line since I knew it and it is really fairly easy.  I was just looking to see if FileMaker had some magic mojo in their GUI tool.  But I guess not - haha.  Oh well. 

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                            jrenfrew

My issue is that I have got the supported Geo certificate for my dev server...

It installed fine, BUT I still can't see files even though just going to the url for the server shows a correctly installed certificate, and on opening the admin console I am being told there is already a copy of the server running with the same licence key.

Which is clearly nonsense.

And on which I can find nothing helpful with the help of Mr Google....

anone here got the wisdom I lack?

john

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                              user19752

There is server name and IP address on the message "a copy of ...", check it on your server. Do you have 2 or more IP addresses on the server? or host names?

I recall an issue on OS X if server name is changed on admin console, but not sure about this is resolved on FMS13 and not occur on 14.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                                jrenfrew

computer is called the FQDN that the server is called.

as soon as you install a custom cert (GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium) which IS supported, with request made from connanfd line and server type set to other when it was requested THIS happens

big fat box saying there are two versions of this licence.

NOT TRUE

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server 14 SSL Certificate Install
                                  wimdecorte

FMS14?

If so there is a known issue with this from what I get from other posts and forums.

1 2 Previous Next