1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 9:43 AM by taylorsharpe

What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?

jimmywilliams

I purchased my license to FileMaker Server 14 yesterday and it installed perfectly on my clean Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 virtual machine.  In the course of saving my progress I restarted the server a few times making snapshots and everything was working fine each time I logged into the Admin Console.

Then, I used the fmsadmin command to create a certificate request and purchased a GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium certificate and using the fmsadmin tool installed the certificate.  The command line tool gave no errors and I could see that serverRequest.pem, serverKey.pem and serverCustom.pem were all created in the FileMaker Server\CStore folder.

I restarted the entire server and now when I log into the Admin Console there is an error that says "Another copy of FileMaker (FMS14 (fms14.austinmichael.com)) is already running with this license.  This copy of FileMaker Server will not open any databases, but will allow updating the license key or configuring for standby server."

There are no other copies of FileMaker Server on the network and FMS14 is the server I'm trying to setup.  The license key is conflicting with itself.

When I remove the .pem files from the CStore folder everything works, except of course I don't have a CA signed certificate.

GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium is listed as compatible on this page (with FileMaker Server 13 at least):

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11413

Does anyone here use custom certificates to secure your FileMaker Server 14 server (on Windows Server)?  If so, where do you get them from?

• 1. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
          wimdecorte

The kb article is updated for 14...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11413

The issue sounds like the one in 13 where the name set up in the FMS admin console does not match the CA name and/or does not match the DNS name of the machine itself.

• 2. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
            jimmywilliams

Ok, I setup a PTR record for the IP of the machine to match the common name on the server and I changed the FileMaker Server name from FMS14 to fms14.austinmichael.com (against FileMaker's advice, they said it should be the computer name which is FMS14) and I'm still getting the same error.  I've tried rebuilding the machine a few times now.

Has anyone successfully installed a custom SSL certificate on FileMaker Server 14 on Windows?

• 3. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
              jimmywilliams

Just an FYI, I tried installing a GoDaddy Standard SSL with SHA-2 (SHA 256) and I received the same error.  FileMaker support acknowledged others have called in with similar problems but can't reproduce the problem themselves and basically told me they would no longer help me which is terrible customer service because even if it's on my side wouldn't they want to know what's causing the problem so they can better advise their other customers?  I've installed custom SSL Certificates on many FileMaker Server 13 servers without issue.

Has anyone successfully installed a custom SSL certificate for FileMaker Server 14 on Windows Server? 

• 4. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                cwhorton

This exact same scenario has been occurring for us as well and after 3 days of phone calls and sending certificate and log files back and forth with FileMaker support staff they have finally told us today that they are treating this as a bug that will be fixed in the next maintenance release.  Sorry to say, they couldn't promise a timeframe as to when that will be.

In the meantime, they recommended us to install the free trial of FileMaker Server 14.  I can verify this works and after installing my GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium certificates I am no longer getting the “Another copy of FileMaker Server is using this license” error.

Clearly, going to production with a ticking time bomb is less than ideal but hopefully they’ll have the maintenance release out before the 31 days of the free trial expires.

• 5. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                  wimdecorte

I don't follow:  the production version of FMS14 does not accept the certificate but the trial version does!?

As an aside: there shouldn't be a ticking time bomb; nobody should bet their deployment on a new version from the get-go.

• 6. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                    cwhorton

Somehow, the mechanism to verify unique FileMaker Server 14 licenses on the subnet once a custom SSL certificate is installed creates the "Another copy" error.  FileMaker says they can reproduce it intermittently, but it's happened to me every ... single... time... I've tried to setup our FileMaker Server 14 servers (at least 10 install attempts so far on different equipment in different networks).

The free trial version of the software does not check for unique licenses on the subnet and therefore it will not generate that error.  It is the only install of FileMaker Server 14 I've gotten to get past this error.

• 7. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                      KevinMullins

I had the same issue.  I installed the cert that I had generated from 13, by coping over all the files and then doing the command line install of the cert I got from GoDaddy.  Has anyone created a new CSR on 14 and had your cert reissued from that new CSR and then install?

Kevin

• 8. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                        cwhorton

I created my CSRs from FileMaker Server 14's fmsadmin program and installed the certificate I was issued using the fmsadmin tool as well.  I didn't try using my 13 certificates as I was using a new hostname so it was a brand new CSR and certificate.  Ultimately though, this wasn't the source of my problems.

• 9. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                          jimmywilliams

I installed the free trial and after installing my custom certificate the server kept working.  Thanks for this, I hope they fix this soon.

• 10. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                            PointInSpace

Do you know if this bug affects OS X as well, or just Windows?

- John

• 11. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                              cwhorton

I don't know.  I only tried Windows Server, but if you find out I would be very interested to know so please report back.

• 12. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                                bman2232

Yes, it is affecting OS X as well. I am running it on 10.10.3 with a two machine configuration. I haven't tried to install a trial version to see if it fixes it.

• 13. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                                  steveromig

Carl Horton wrote:

This exact same scenario has been occurring for us as well and after 3 days of phone calls and sending certificate and log files back and forth with FileMaker support staff they have finally told us today that they are treating this as a bug that will be fixed in the next maintenance release.  Sorry to say, they couldn't promise a timeframe as to when that will be.

I'd be a little leery about statements like this.  We (FileMaker) don't typically make comments about certain bugs getting fixed in certain updates as a lot could happen to prevent that from happening. 

While it is very possible that a fix for this is forthcoming, I would in no way bet my life on it.  Our front line support agents, assuming this is where this information came from, have no way of knowing what is going into an as yet unscheduled update.  For that matter, neither do I, or anyone else who regularly posts to the Community.

No harm, no foul, but I just don't want to set expectations that this, or any issue for that matter, is absolutely going to be addressed in a forthcoming "maintenance release."

With that said, I personally have no problem confirming / admitting that something is a bug and by all accounts this issue that many of you are encountering does appear to be a bug.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: What SSL Certificates are Supported for FileMaker Server 14?
                                    cwhorton

I agree with you, but in this case my information comes from the first and second level front support technicians that talked to the "quality assurance department", a group who would not talk to me directly on the phone.   The front line support technician called me today (note, they called me ... I wasn't pressing them for an answer at that moment) saying that quality assurance is treating it as a bug and is working on a fix.  I can only assume that means a maintenance release is coming.  Installing the free trial as a workaround was their (quality assurance's) idea and it worked so they are definitely aware of the problem.

1 2 Previous Next