7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 2:40 PM by mark_scott

Reorder button bar segments?

MicheleOlson

Fantastic tool - the new Button Bar --

is there a way to re-order the segments?

Thanks,

Michele

• 1. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
          mark_scott

Hi Michele,

Select the bar as a whole, then click again on a segment to select it (not too quickly, or you'll get a double-click).  Now, you can drag that segment to a new location within the bar.

hth,

Mark

• 2. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
            MicheleOlson

Excellent!!! Thanks Mark.

• 3. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
              mark_scott

Hmmm.  There's one more tip I noticed.  erolst had replied seconds after me, and mentioned holding down the Cmd key, although not sure where his reply disappeared to.

Anyways, his reply prompted me to test a bit further.  I couldn't replicate an explicit need for the Cmd key, per se, but I did notice that when you click on a segment that you want to drag, you do need to click down and hold steady for a split second before starting to drag, else the bar moves as a whole.

hth,

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
                erolst

Mark –

I thought it only worked via special key; upon reading your response I tried again (more carefully …), and since that did work (thanks!), my post was superfluous.

Speaking of button bar: Ocean West on FMForums pointed out that since BB segments can have calculated labels, you can (mis)use a single-segment bar* as a self-contained layout calculation object (make the object “chrome” transparent and format the label text as desired).

That does away with hacks like defining and displaying $vars in other object's CF definition and having to refresh them.

*Obviously it works regardless of the segment count, but you only need one to implement this functionality.

• 5. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
                  NickLightbody

And the button bar also enables one to create a fully proportionally resizing multi part read only layout.

Set vertically - for a none editable screen, such as a contacts page with address, phone etc details, everything resizes perfectly and you can have nice icons as well.

For example attached is how my contact record looks in Deskspace, in this case each data item opens an appropriate resource - but the buttons can be set to do nothing. You could then use pop-overs to edit the button "label" contents - i.e. the data.

Cheers, Nick

• 6. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
                    NickLightbody

this is the same screen just resized.

• 7. Re: Reorder button bar segments?
                      mark_scott

erolst wrote:

Speaking of button bar: Ocean West on FMForums pointed out that since BB segments can have calculated labels, you can (mis)use a single-segment bar* as a self-contained layout calculation object (make the object “chrome” transparent and format the label text as desired).

That does away with hacks like defining and displaying $vars in other object's CF definition and having to refresh them.

*Obviously it works regardless of the segment count, but you only need one to implement this functionality.

Indeed!  I saw his post over there and think it's brilliant.  Will definitely become a new tool in my toolbox of (mis)used features.