11 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 7:27 AM by BenHutson

32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced

BenHutson

Hi,

With the new and exciting release of FileMaker 14 the option to install the 64 bit FM Pro client is now available.

Of course, some plug-ins are not 64 bit ready yet (Dacon's FileFire ), so it may not be an option just yet to go 64 bit.

What I'd like to know is: is there any real difference in FM14 on 32 bit vs 64 bit? Obviously 64 bit applications don't have the same memory limitations as 32 bit, and I am wondering if FM has really leveraged the additional performance gains in 64 bit?

It would be nice to have a reason to be motivated to move to 64 bit across the board, and performance is definitely a good motivator.

Look forward to your input.

Ben

• 1. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
          Benjamin Fehr

FMI states a approx. performance-increase of up to 25% with new FMP14. A great deal of this maybe caused by 64-bit support.

Well, you can run tests with FMPA 14 32-bit AND FMPA14 64-bit for comparison of performance.

Same move took place with FMServer I guess version12(?).

btw.:

- Dacon promised to update FileFire Advc. until public release FMPA14 which means now(?).

- MyFMButtler rumored to have release of PrinterSwitch 64-bit delayed. Update expected in summer …

• 2. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
            BenHutson

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that figure (25%) - of course as you say they'll be talking about maximum gains so could well be the 64 bit.

Testing the performance is probably the only way to get a true answer.

Thanks for the additional info on Dacons, I did just put in a ticket this morning enquiring so they'll probably come back with the same response. It's good to know though, FileFire on FMS will be very useful.

• 3. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
              Benjamin Fehr

I started a discussion to invite PlugIn-Developers to give info:

PlugIn-Developer Info-Request: 64-bit compatibilty

That 25% performance increase was mentioned in a webinar under NDA before public release, as far as I remember.

For me, the increase is obvious with FMPA14 as well as with FMGo14.

Again, as seen with FMPA13, seem they use some shortcuts in FMGo14 in favor to gain performance.

see my bug reports:

FMGo14 Rendering Bug - some graphics not... . Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/7b4e4f9c2b

Rendering-Issue . Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums

• 4. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                Benjamin Fehr

Testing the performance is probably the only way to get a true answer.

already done by NickLightbody

FM 14 Speed Test

• 5. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                  wimdecorte

BenHutson wrote:

It would be nice to have a reason to be motivated to move to 64 bit across the board, and performance is definitely a good motivator.

Like with anything performance related, the only real and relevant test is your own solution.  Too many variables otherwise that can cancel each other out or amplify each other.

It's hard to find a 32-bit machine these days so this is a move that is coming naturally, not one that is driven by pure performance.

I don't think I would use the "FMP 64-bit" as the deciding factor to switch all machines to 64-bit and incur a significant infrastructure cost because of that.

• 6. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                    BenHutson

Thanks for that

Although, I was specifically meaning FMPA14 32 bit vs FMPA14 64 bit - whereas the speed tests seem focused on 13 vs 14. Of course it's great to know that moving to 14 (regardless of bit architecture) has the performance benefits.

Interestingly, I would have thought testing would be done on machine's of same spec - to eliminate any peculiarities of the environment.

• 7. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                      BenHutson

Hi Wim,

That's exactly what I was thinking - regarding performance testing.

Yes, the move is natural, but if there's a good reason to get ahead of the curve then I'm for it.

As you say the infrastructure cost is the deciding factor and no business is going to incur any cost 'for the sake of it', plus the fact that some of the plugins we have are not likely to be udpated to 64 bit for some time. I am very keen to move to FM 14 and wouldn't let the decision of bit architecture hold that back - we will go with what's available and stable.

The natural move is coming due to the limitations of 32 bit architecture and the improvements made in 64 bit architecture, else the move wouldn't be natural. My interest is in how FM have leveraged that, if it is at all possible.

My knowledge of these things is minuscule, and really just looking for some insight.

Your replies have been most helpful.

• 8. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                        matthew_odell

Hey Ben,

At this point, most of the hardware and software you are getting is 64-bit, and at some point in the future, 32-bit will probably no longer be supported by future OS's and hardware. Instead of seeing the decision as "Is moving to 64-bit worth it?", I see it as "Is there anything keeping me back on 32-bit?"

You already know some of the pieces to answer that question, like plug-ins. Other things to consider are ODBC drivers and other software that communicates with FileMaker like Outlook. If any of these things only support 32-bit, then you should probably stay on 32-bit. Otherwise, choose 64-bit, because in the future you'll probably only have 64-bit.

• 9. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                          BenHutson

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for the reply, that's a good way to put it and I would agree with that.

On that basis, yes there are good reasons we should stay on 32 bit.

I suppose that just leaves as a matter of interest; is there was any real performance differences between 32 bit and 64 bit? Rather than any part of the deciding factor of which bit architecture should be deployed.

• 10. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                            steveromig

Benjamin Fehr wrote:

FMI states a approx. performance-increase of up to 25% with new FMP14. A great deal of this maybe caused by 64-bit support.

Well, you can run tests with FMPA 14 32-bit AND FMPA14 64-bit for comparison of performance.

Same move took place with FMServer I guess version12(?).

btw.:

- Dacon promised to update FileFire Advc. until public release FMPA14 which means now(?).

- MyFMButtler rumored to have release of PrinterSwitch 64-bit delayed. Update expected in summer …

That "up to 25%" performance increase applies more toward properly designed / configured WebDirect solutions than the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14 or FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit FM Pro Advanced
                              BenHutson

I should add to that last comment that Wim has really answered that already in part - it depends on the solution!