3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 4:59 AM by mikebeargie

Automating spell check

user5531

Hi Everyone

I am trying to write a script that steps through each record and spell checks a field. If the field has no errors, i'd like the script to move on to the next record.

Then, if it hits a record that needs 'correcting' it should throw the normal spell check window.

So, I have been trying to find out what i can control programatically from the spell check in Filemaker but can't seem to find any info/error codes or script results.

Has anyone done this before? Or is it just something I should do elsewhere (like export to excel and then re-import the data)?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

ciao 4 now

• 1. Re: Automating spell check
          mikebeargie

You want the "Check Record" script step inside of a loop. That will pop the window open on all records requiring a spell check.

Go To Record/Request [first]

Loop

Check Record

Go To Record/Request [next]

Exit Loop If [ get (record number) = get(foundcount) ]

End Loop

• 2. Re: Automating spell check
            user5531

Thnx for the reply Mike.

Yep, that works, however it seems to open the dialog for every record... Regardless of whether it needs correcting or not! So I have to hit the 'done' key 45000 times!

Is there a way to trap for just incorrectly spelt records? (I'm only really interested in one field not the whole record.)

Once again, thmx for the response!

Ciao

• 3. Re: Automating spell check
              mikebeargie

I don’t think there’s any native check. You would have to tie into an external REST API via the WebViewer or Insert From URL to check without dialog.

I didn’t realize your use case was so vast, I figured you’d only be checking a single record using an OnRecordCommit trigger.