1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 8:07 AM by Benjamin Fehr

Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?

jgalt

Is there an option in FMP14 that allows you to turn off access to FMP14 specific features so you can safely develop FMP13 compatible solutions?

It is going to take a bit of work (actually a major pain in the butt) to upgrade the FMP13 clients from OS X 10.8 to 10.10...but I would like to start using some of the new features of FMP14 such as the script editor. Is this possible...are the file formats the same?

• 1. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
          Markus Schneider

I don't work with newer FM on older customer solutions. We know not enough about what's changed around css and others

THerefore: In a 'live' environment, if a customer solution is on V12, I'm starting FM12, etc.

And 'NO', there is no way to disable new features/methods

And 'Yes', it's a pitty that we have to migrate OS first, but it's just the way it is..

• 2. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
            steveromig

John Galt wrote:

Is there an option in FMP14 that allows you to turn off access to FMP14 specific features so you can safely develop FMP13 compatible solutions?

It is going to take a bit of work (actually a major pain in the butt) to upgrade the FMP13 clients from OS X 10.8 to 10.10...but I would like to start using some of the new features of FMP14 such as the script editor. Is this possible...are the file formats the same?

There is not an option to disable features while developing in FileMaker Pro other than to make sure you don't use a feature that is not available in an older version.

With that in mind it is usually OK to develop within the same file format family, in this case versions 12, 13, and 14.

And as an alternative to upgrading clients, you could also consider FileMaker WebDirect.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
              jgalt

Thanks for your reply. I don't think web direct is a viable option for us because of performance issues...although I can see that FileMaker as a company keeps trying to push customers to this direction.

• 4. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                jgalt

I have a pretty good handle on the layout elements to avoid but where can I see a list of FileMaker 14 specific functions and script steps?

• 5. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                  jurijn

If you know the technology and how it is working, you shouldn´t have problems with performance.
                  But it is true that you should develop appropriate layouts and consider the data loading over the wire.
                  FM announced performance improvements up to 25% in Webdirect in version 14. 

• 6. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                    Markus Schneider

I did not check wd in 14 besides of starting it and playing around a bit - can wd print? If You have to create multi-page prints, You have at least to change the FM processes, maybe the workflow..

BUt when it comes to data-entry, working on screen -> wd looks cool (as long as You're on 'wire') and seems to be pretty fast

• 7. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                      jgalt

jurijn wrote:

If you know the technology and how it is working, you shouldn´t have problems with performance.
                      But it is true that you should develop appropriate layouts and consider the data loading over the wire.
                      FM announced performance improvements up to 25% in Webdirect in version 14. 

I have yet to see a web browser based POS system that runs fast enough for our needs. Even our native FileMaker Pro is too slow compared to other commercial POS systems that we are competing against.

Also...our FMP12 and 13 solutions have proven to be slower than our old FMP 11 solution...even when they are run on newer/faster hardware. I guess all that CSS fanciness comes a price.

• 8. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                        jurijn

I ´m afraid that is not possible, has not yet been implemented. But i´m not sure.
                        I was searching something similar in the previous week.

• 9. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                          jurijn

FM 13 made a huge step forward, FM 14 even bigger. Under the hood engineers made probably some changes how some things are handled. If you have problems with performance, you should read the document about performance.
                          The technology is going forward, so you can not just migrate your solutions, you should also adjust them to the new technology. Local formating is probably one of the causes...

• 10. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                            jgalt

Scrolling in table view for example...FMP 13 very slow compared to FMP11. I don't think reading any amount of documentation is going to make this faster.

• 11. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                              mark_scott

This kb article covers new and changed script steps in some detail.  New and changed functions (as well as triggers, etc) are covered in Help, under the What's New topic.  That latter "What's New in the Version" page is always worth pretty much committing to memory once about every 15-18 months.

hth

Mark

• 12. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                                intex

WD can´t really print.

Therefor we realized all "printing" options in our INtex Office (WD based online solution) as HTML based exports.

• 13. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                                  NickLightbody

The New Features in FileMaker Pro 14 item on the first built in help page lists all the new stuff.

Why not run 13 in parallel on the same file to check as you go along?

WebDirect is now much faster than before and only needs 32mb per user session rather than 256mb under 13.

On a mobile device my clients are noticing how WD14 is much faster than WD13. After all, WD is really like using a RDP connection in the sense that only the screen and input is transmitted?

I have given some figures on this other thread:

FileMaker Server 14 & WebDirect Performance

Cheers, Nick

• 14. Re: Can I use FMP14 to develop FMP13 solutions?
                                    vmeyers

.but I would like to start using some of the new features of FMP14 such as the script editor. Is this possible...are the file formats the same?

Yes, Script formats are the same in FMP13 and FMP14. If you use 14 to open (a copy of) the 13 file, you will be able to see your script with line numbers, color coding etc.

Option 1) make your changes and do not use any specific FMP14 script steps or features and you should be fine when you import the script back into your FMP13 version of the file.

Option 2) save the formatted text of any FMP13 script as a text file by coping it from the FMP14 clipboard using something like 2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer  2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer

Vaughn

1 2 Previous Next