8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 3:23 PM by ayescas

Lasso as a Web Server...

Anyone still using Lasso? If so, care to share its inate values with us.

I am embarking on a project that might have a million users (don't I wish) and am exploring some idea on how to handle this.

One possibility is to use the same software FileMaker uses for its Internet services...

• 1. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
          FileMakerProRocks

Yes, using Lasso for around 20 years or so. It runs and runs and runs and runs.  No PHP at all. All Lasso.

Remember the startup with Bill Doerrfeld, Blue World Communications Inc.? FileMaker 4 and Claris Homepage?

Haven't done any coding for years, just using my initially created modules.

FileMaker Data Sources — LassoGuide 9.2 documentation

• 2. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
            Markus Schneider

The documentation seem to be from 2014 - but only FMS12 is mentioned. Does it still work with FMS13/14?

(Years ago, we tried Lasso out - but never had a solution based on it)

• 3. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
              FileMakerProRocks

The documentation seem to be from 2014 - but only FMS12 is mentioned. Does it still work with FMS13/14?

Best is to contact LassoSoft.com directly. We are running the older Lasso version 8.5, and as said we haven't touched it for years, but still running.

• 4. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
                colins

I use Lasso 8.5.5 & 8.6 (never upgraded to 9 - thus far haven't needed to). My set-up uses FMSA 12 and runs trouble free. I have found over the years that pretty much every issue encountered leads me down a long and winding road all the way to Filemaker - never Lasso - and is almost always down to unadvertised changes to xml and custom web publishing. I have long found Filemaker's support for custom web publishing to be pretty poor - at least on the detail side of things. And whenever I have raised queries with FMI personnel at various FM seminars have been met with blank stares.

I haven't tried FMS 13 or the brand spanking new 14. The reason being that every new version of Filemaker Server brings with it a whole new set of issues. Ergo, I stick with what works - only exploring later/newer versions on an entirely separate sub-net. I'll be doing this with 14, but not yet, as it will probably require a couple of updates before all those unforeseen issues are ironed out.

It is well worth looking at Lassotalk as, if I recall correctly, there were issues with installations of Lasso 9 on Mac OS 10.10, which I think uses Apache 2.4. Whatever, there are some brilliant and extremely helpful people on Lassotalk, so I would suggest you ask the same question over there.

• 5. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
                  FileMakerProRocks

colins wrote:

And whenever I have raised queries with FMI personnel at various FM seminars have been met with blank stares.

LoL, same happened to me...!  Blank stares with smiles. You must have been to the same seminars, or are there more of this kind. What an attitude.

• 6. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
                    colins

At one such even I was talking to the head tech honcho at FMI about all sorts of custome web publishing stuff and told him I was having problems with changes between FMSA 11 and 12 and the way 'neq' in a query was being handled. On his pad he wrote down 'any queue'. I realised then that this was not going to turn out the way I had hoped. However, he was extremely honest about his lack of knowledge of the way custom web publishing worked.

• 7. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...

Two points to consider:

1. When buying at MacDonalds, don't ask them if they eat at Burger King and vv.
                      2. Upper Management are hired to manage not create. It's not unusual for someone that is in charge of herding the chickens to not know what they eat for dinner.
                      • 8. Re: Lasso as a Web Server...
                        ayescas

So did you ever get the Lasso project developed ?