1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 7:30 AM by TSGuy

Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI

TorstenBernhard

The thread about RunTime deprecation triggered some remarks that the success rate of a feature request or a bug report strongly depends on the quality of the submitter's relationship with FMI staff.

These statements were issued by long-time and very experienced members of this community, so I take it as a matter of fact.

Having submitted a bug report earlier this year ( http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/4d64799f8c ), it was duly acknowledged within 24 hrs.

Today, the bug is still there in 13.0.9 and made it into 14.0.1 and I have no visibility on when it will be fixed or if there is a plan to fix it.

The acknowledgement reply and research in bug reports and this forum made me understand that this bug is a manifestation of a larger issue with GUI rendering in Windows. No other information was given until now.

The frustrations palpable in many posts most probably stem from such a lack of feedback and visibility to the wider community. If I may ask those who enjoy successful and privileged communication with FMI to check my above bug report if it contains any show-stoppers in terms of language employed and technical information given.

A one-page vade mecum for Newbies on how to successfully communicate with FMI would be extremely helpful and much appreciated, also including guidance on what one can reasonably expect and what one cannot expect, based on your experience.

At the end of the day it's a matter of expectations - less expectations do lead to less frustrations.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
          intex

So far as I have learned in other threads you have to

• attend every devcon and keynote
          • contact your local FM sales representative and invite him for a beer or more
          • try to connect to FMI staff on devcon, sales tours (if available) and don´t forget the beer
          • always be polite, don´t dare to criticise anything
          • attend a course in lobbyism
          • LISTEN
          • READ carefully
          • learn all knowledge base articles, help files and anything else by heart
          • if you report bugs, don´t ask again, what has happened to these reports
          • don´t expect bug free versions nor any beta tests, don´t dream of bugs being eliminated asap, don´t ask for something like that
          • sell as many FM licenses as you can for bad conditions
          • definitely don´t feel as a customer
          • never, never ask for a roadmap
          • never ever break a NDA
          • don´t start discussion with FMI on this forum, since it´s only intended for support
          • write old style letters and send them per snail mail
          • don´t behave like I do :-)

to get answers.

Sorry, but this had to be said. Frustrated.

• 2. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
            tomasd

You have to be very patient and don't expect anything . If you are lucky, It can take two years until they fix your issue. I have reported crash in my database in 12/2013 and send files to support. After two years, the issue is fixed. Thank TSGal.

Crash when closing multiple files . Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums

• 3. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
              colins

"vade mecum". A latin scholar! I'm duly impressed. I also agree with (most of) his list. However, I would add one item - a 5000 watt PA system.

• 4. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                jormond

Wow. Just can't help yourself, can you?!

This thread was posted as a serious and concerned FM Community citizen to the veteran members of the community to ask for help in getting better at the communication so he can also help move his relationship forward with FMI...and you respond with sarcasm and contempt.

Please, if you don't have something truly helpful to say, please remain silent and let the devs with experience in this area help out. This is the noise that other developers complain about. If you wish to continue these responses in your own thread, do that. Don't hijack someone else's thread.

• 5. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                  TorstenBernhard

No, really. I understand your frustration and share much of it. But now I am trying to bring this on a more constructive and satisfactory track. Please let people talk who said having established a good communication with FMI. It's for the benefit of all!

• 6. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                    intex

Wish you good luck - honestly.

• 7. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                      jrenfrew

Thank you Josh

Saves me saying stuff that guarantees my post will be 'struck off'

In a (FBA) webcast last year was on opportunity to give some time and help with essentially a launch readiness task, which I took and then participated in. Gave me access to things ahead of the curve and allowed me to express my opinion on certain things. Its only one opinion but its from someone who demonstrated they were willing to invest time and effort to help rather than just stand on the sidelines and yell.

Only my experience, but still a real one.

Get to be friends with other people who do have some influence, and let them add your voice to theirs.

Also a good strategy. You get to find out stuff that way, but clearly I can't tell you as then I would have to kill you.

• 8. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                        gdurniak

It does help to attend DevCon, and speak to the Engineers directly

There are quite a few issues that frustrate them as well,  especially OS related

and ( I am told ) the role of "TSGal" is played by more than one person, so feedback may be more or less detailed ( and in a recent reply to me, even TSGal seemed frustrated )

greg

> the success rate of a feature request or a bug report strongly depends on the quality of the submitter's relationship with FMI staff

• 9. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                          Benjamin Fehr

and ( I am told ) the role of "TSGal" is played by more than one person,… ?!!

That would really surprise me.

What sense would this make? There are other TS' like TSFalcon.

• 10. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                            jormond

Why would it surprise you? TechNetAdmin was handled by more than 1 person.

• 11. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                              abridgesolution

does he get points for being consistent??

• 12. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                                jormond

Absolutely.

Ok. So back on topic. Tips for communicating with FileMaker.  Here is mine:

Call FMI, find out who your regional sales rep, or Systems Engineer is. Email them. Say hi, start a dialog. Ask for some time to discuss some thoughts one on one. Write them down in a list, and send it to them so they have time to get you an appropriate answer.

Be polite and civil. You can be direct, but realize this person is paid to do what they are instructed by the parent company. Ask, don't demand.

Go to the FileMaker Roadshow if there is one in your area. Go to FileMaker user groups if they are in your area.

• 13. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                                  thebridge

Josh

Did you get an email of my comment regarding his "consistency" or did you see it on community website? For some reason it appears that my replies are not being sent out from my secondary account. Am also using this post to test my primary account which I am logged in to now.

Thanks

Robert Bloomfield

• 14. Re: Newbie's Howto talk successfully to FMI
                                    jormond

The post about consistency came through my email, as well as on the community site.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next