1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 2:51 PM by alice07

Fmgo 14 issues

alice07

hi all,

I was very excited on start working with new filemaker 14 and fmgo14, with so many new improvements, but I faced some troubles:

File opens and work properly in fmgo14 but layout rendering is rather different from fmgo13, labels need more space to display, otherwise they look cut or too low on the border or too high, in all cases many of them look different. That's not dummy for there are thousands labels around...

But the most important difference is that I feel an annoying flickering scrolling records and windows which makes interface really less confortable and consistent then fmgo13.

Is anyone having same issues ?

this someway takes me back to the first fm13 release with all lists and portals terribly slow (it was related to conditional definitions that time)

• 1. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
          Markus Schneider

Rendering is a problem here, scrolling.. no, but we have set up the 'go' layouts that no scrolling is needed. For browsing from record to record, IMHO the 2-finger-swipe is not  standard.

Rendering: A lot of labels had to be adjusted, line-thickness doesn't match at all (look like hairline instead of 1pt lines), identical gaps are not identical in portrtait/landscape, line-spacing seems not ok, etc. (all in comparision to V13)

Thanks to styles, adjusting doesn't take much time - but having to adjust all those things after every new version is not the way it should be.

• 2. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
            skywillmott

Hi Alice,

Yep, I'm experiencing quite a lot of UI glitches with FMGo 14… Things that worked really smoothly in 13 no longer do in 14 - and this is for files on device, not ones where I'm connecting to a server, so its not a connection issue….

I actually did a screen recording comparing the same file being used in FMGo 13 and FMGo 14, and some scripts that resulted in conditional formatting changes are taking up to 6-7 times as long to render in 14, along with UI flickering and unwanted artefacts flashing… With the screen recordings, I used a Lightning cable attached to mac and recorded using QuickTime Player. I then set the frame rates to 50fps for both video clips and compared UI updates frame by frame…. sort of scientific analysis I guess :-p

Also the new custom file icons are not displaying properly in FMGo 14 on iPad.. Usually never show in recent files view, and fairly often not in files on device view either. They work fine in FMGo 14 on Phone however.

Overall it does feel like an early .0 release, much like the first versions of 11 and 13 were… FMI must have changed a lot in the way the layouts are rendering in FMGo 14 compared to 13… hopefully an update will not take too long to be issued that will fix these early version glitches so that it becomes as smooth and responsive as 13 got to be….

• 3. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
              Benjamin Fehr

Rendering: A lot of labels had to be adjusted, line-thickness doesn't match at all (look like hairline instead of 1pt lines)

… or just disappeared!

see all my recent Bug-Reports. Subject start with "FMGo14 - …"

• 4. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                steveromig

Sky Willmott wrote:

Hi Alice,

Yep, I'm experiencing quite a lot of UI glitches with FMGo 14… Things that worked really smoothly in 13 no longer do in 14 - and this is for files on device, not ones where I'm connecting to a server, so its not a connection issue….

I actually did a screen recording comparing the same file being used in FMGo 13 and FMGo 14, and some scripts that resulted in conditional formatting changes are taking up to 6-7 times as long to render in 14, along with UI flickering and unwanted artefacts flashing… With the screen recordings, I used a Lightning cable attached to mac and recorded using QuickTime Player. I then set the frame rates to 50fps for both video clips and compared UI updates frame by frame…. sort of scientific analysis I guess :-p

Also the new custom file icons are not displaying properly in FMGo 14 on iPad.. Usually never show in recent files view, and fairly often not in files on device view either. They work fine in FMGo 14 on Phone however.

Overall it does feel like an early .0 release, much like the first versions of 11 and 13 were… FMI must have changed a lot in the way the layouts are rendering in FMGo 14 compared to 13… hopefully an update will not take too long to be issued that will fix these early version glitches so that it becomes as smooth and responsive as 13 got to be….

If possible, providing a link to your screen recording might be helpful to pass on to our QA / Product Development group to check out.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                  skywillmott

Hi Steve,

Sure… Unfortunately I didn't keep my screen recordings, but can have a go at recreating them tomorrow and post a link here...

Thanks,

Sky

• 6. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                    Markus Schneider

unfortunately, it's not possible to post using iPads - I have some reports as well. Will try to post later

• 7. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                      alice07

Hi,

here is an example. That's actually a simple one, just take some controls and put them on a layout. I know It is also not the best way to display records, since it is natively slow, but enough to make the idea.

Same file opened in:

Desktop: Ok !

FMGO13 : Ok !

FMGO14: Labels need all to be fixed in some way and scrolling is poorly not smooth at all.

Now, you can use styles to correct how controls are displayed, but unfortunately most of my solutions come from before style had been introduced and I did not convert all to styles, that was maybe my fault but they are thousands… Can't imagine to do it now.

And second, All of us spend hours on building comfortable and consistent UI, and I really think that moving to fmgo14 is a big step backwards.

• 8. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                        Markus Schneider

Can confirm that with Your file!

My main FMGo solution (all day in use) has about 7K records. When browsing the list, it's much better than Yours - but the rows are much smaller.

What here occurs: When browsing the list and  going back to the form layout, FMGo often crashes (boom - goes away, no msg, just 'gone').

I can not replicate it - it will happen or not (but it will....). I got the impression that it will happen more often when I'm browsing through the list -> could it be kind of a memory problem? It definitely did not happen under FMGo13 and will not happen under Pro14

Since it will no happen every time, chances are not good to send in a bug report )-:

• 9. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                          Benjamin Fehr

mschneider

I had a FMGo14 crash only once at a very early stage.

I usually have [locked] option activated for all kind of windows status, especially for Zoom-Level.

This experience meets reports where lock Zoom-Level seem to be a reliable work around!

my recommendation:

- set Zoom-Level and show/hide Toolbar, etc. as [locked] within the startup script in our solution

- set a "FreezeWindow" step before every gotoLayout task

- never have more than 1 window opened at a time with FMGo

… and sure would be great if you come back to report your experience with this [locked] work around

• 10. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                            alice07

Sorry Efficientbizz, but that sounds a joke. 

My raccomandation: eat only salad and you will leave hundred year !

Actually in FMGO13 I work with tens layouts open at a time with no problem at all and zoom is sometimes needed and used.

Don't you think problems should be solved on new FMGO release and not on thousands user solutions ?

• 11. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                              Benjamin Fehr

Don't you think problems should be solved on new FMGO release and not on thousands user solutions ?

absolutely! I also think it should be possible to write a reply to this post here without having to click the browsers reload-button 3-4 times in order to achieve.

But that's not what you get!

I've learned a very hard lesson as a early adopter with FM12 and it's over 360 bugs!

Actually in FMGO13 I work with tens layouts open at a time with no problem at all and zoom is sometimes needed and used.

You may run into performance issues or even crashes 'specially in a Server/Host - Client environment and with iOS-Devices over WLAN.

I myself sent in probably a half a dozen Bug reports regarding windows zoom, maximize, etc. issues.

I just give recommendations out of my experiences. It's not a must and I fairly can advice to go on as you do as long as you don't run into serious issues.

• 12. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                                Markus Schneider

Layouts are locked here, no zooming

5 Minutes ago, it crashed when turning the iPad from portrait to landscape...

I still have a trigger on layout enter, that does nothing but a simple sql query. Have to rewrite this, but can do this only when working on my Mac (transferring the file from iPad to Mac)..

It never crashed under 13. Had some problems with graphics, etc - that could be solved by quitting FMGo. But this crashes become critical here...

• 13. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                                  TorstenBernhard

DevCon and local FileMaker Conferences are upcoming. I guess that support engineers from FMI or the local FM entity will attend and everyone with such intermittently appearing bugs could do a live demo at the occasion, in a side meeting?

• 14. Re: Fmgo 14 issues
                                    Benjamin Fehr

you may also use the new "Orientation lock" function with FMGo14 to see if this is another work around.

If not, maybe your issue can get narrowed down to this sql-query.

Just send it in as a Bug-Report if no similar reports already exists!

1 2 Previous Next