1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 12:04 PM by maxwellk2

FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?

PointInSpace

Just wondering if FileMaker Server 14 with a custom SSL cert installed is actually working OK for anyone?  Others have reported issues with the licensing not working properly and the server thinking there's another operating with the same license on the network when using a custom SSL certificate.  But sounds like it may be working for others as well?

We've been holding off until this is addressed, but if it's just a handful having the problem we'll proceed.

If you could also state your operating system type and version, that'd be great.  Thanks!

- John

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
          jrenfrew

Not at all.

Server thinks there is a already a copy running...

Tried every possible combination to stop this and am down to tearing hair and banging head with brick...

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
            electon

Ouch...

It already hurts just by reading it.

Strange, a major version rollout and stuff like that happens.

People are running trial versions at the moment with the cert working.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
              TorstenBernhard

Yep. I am going to see a customer who wants to migrate his v11 to v14, including server. There is not much choice than to recommend v13 for the time being.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                electon

I don't think fixing this will take long.

Not a confidence booster hoverer if you have to present the situation to a potential client.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                  CICT

Hi John

We've just built our first Windows 2012 FileMaker Server 14 VM and am glad to report that we have full SSL functionality, including the green padlock when communicating via FMP v14. We haven't set up a WebDirect server as yet, as we always use a 2-server deployment (next pair of servers to be built) and our immediate concern is for our customers using our standard Citrix hosting.

Specifics about our setup are:

Windows Server 2012 R2

SSL Certificate Type: Thawte SSL 123 Certificate

CSR was created using fmsadmin in the command line (enhanced mode)

Certificate was installed using fmsadmin as above

We never install Bonjour

Sophos Anti-Virus was switched off during the install

We are using a site license, not a single server license

(If this problem hasn't been resolved in the near future, we could use a single server license on our next build to see whether this is a factor)

We have pretty much documented the procedures step-by-step so if anyone is interested we could genericise these and put a link to it.

This is not to say everything is hunky dory, we're finding Server Admin to be unreliable within the Windows server using both IE and Chrome and are getting better results managing remotely using Chrome on a Mac.

Regards

Andy

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                    BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Andy,

I would appreciate seeing a write up of the step-by-step procedure, if and when you have time to generic-ise the document.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 13 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On May 22, 2015, at 8:48, CICT <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert working for anyone?

reply from CICT in Discussions - View the full discussion

Hi John

We've just built our first Windows 2012 FileMaker Server 14 VM and am glad to report that we have full SSL functionality, including the green padlock when communicating via FMP v14. We haven't set up a WebDirect server as yet, as we always use a 2-server deployment (next pair of servers to be built) and our immediate concern is for our customers using our standard Citrix hosting.

Specifics about our setup are:

Windows Server 2012 R2

SSL Certificate Type: Thawte SSL 123 Certificate

CSR was created using fmsadmin in the command line (enhanced mode)

Certificate was installed using fmsadmin as above

We never install Bonjour

Sophos Anti-Virus was switched off during the install

We are using a site license, not a single server license

(If this problem hasn't been resolved in the near future, we could use a single server license on our next build to see whether this is a factor)

We have pretty much documented the procedures step-by-step so if anyone is interested we could genericise these and put a link to it.

This is not to say everything is hunky dory, we're finding Server Admin to be unreliable within the Windows server using both IE and Chrome and are getting better results managing remotely using Chrome on a Mac.

Regards

Andy

>

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                      jrenfrew

tthanks Andy

two differences here

not a site licence and on OS X 10.10

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                        Draco

Hi Andy,

I would appreciate seeing a write up of the step-by-step procedure, if and when you have time to generic-ise the document.

regards

Draco

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                          bajadude

My company and I are both new to FileMaker (purchased FM 13 in mid-April, updated to FM 14 earlier this week) but our recently purchased SSL Cert seems to be working. That is to say that I can access the FM sample app via WebDirect from a remote location. Our FM Server is running on a brand new Windows 8.1 Pro system but I was told this morning that Win 8.x is no longer a supported O/S for Server. I bought it for 13 without realizing that 14 would be out in a matter of weeks!

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                            Norsult

Hi Andy, another 'me too' message, please do the write down.

I think I am quite experienced in this, but every now and then there are glitches, and for the time being I'm fighting to get SSL with serfs to run smooth and with green padlocks everywhere.

I use GeoTrust SSL Premium, with cert requested with CRS from fmsadmin certificate command and do have trouble. In the web server part the cert is accepted and honored, even the GeoTrust Safety Logo works – but the FMS part warns for possible threads to data integrity (every time a Go user connects!!)

So looking into your steps might reveal some shortcomings on our side.

Thank You!

Volker

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                              sibrcode

I've only installed an SSL cert on one FMS 14 system so far, and it seems to be working fine.

• Mac OS 10.10.4
                              • FMP, WebDirect, XML enabled
                              • GoDaddy SSL cert

One thought: make sure you are using a SHA2 (AKA SHA-256) encoded certificate. Most are now, but older FMS setups (prior to 13.05 I think) required SHA-1 certificates.

Simon

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                                wimdecorte

bajadude wrote:

Our FM Server is running on a brand new Windows 8.1 Pro system but I was told this morning that Win 8.x is no longer a supported O/S for Server. I bought it for 13 without realizing that 14 would be out in a matter of weeks!

As a matter of principle it is never a good idea to run any server role on a workstation.  The IIS that is part of Win7 and 8/8.1 is not necessarily the same thing as the IIS on Windows 2008 or 2012 server.

Even for FS13 FileMaker Inc clearly indicated that using a workstation OS for server was ok for development but not for production.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                                  taylorsharpe

I've installed two Thawte 123 SSL certs, both on Mac OS X computers using 10.10.3 and FMS 14.  One of these I had previous had the unsupported Comodo Positive SSL, which I found won't work with 14.  But when I used one of the one FM approves, it worked fine for me.  When they sent the certificate back, I just ran the command line tool to import the certificate and all is happy.  I paid $30 per year for 3 years for both certificates.  I've tested the connections with FMP, FMPA, iOS (iPhone and iPad) and WebDirect.  All show the secure connection icon.  So no problems here on a Mac with FMS 14.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server 14 with custom SSL cert *working* for anyone?
                                    CICT

Hi everyone

We've made our Windows 2012 setup notes a little more presentable and have now published our step-by-step procedures at: FileMaker Server SSL Certificate Setup

We hope this helps with some of the problems being experienced and apologise that we don't have any Mac equivalent as yet. We'd also really like to hear whether these procedures work for other installations or whether any of the problems reported throughout this forum occur.

Once we've the 2-machine deployment setup for WebDirect, we'll add these procedures to those above.

Kind regards

Andy

1 2 3 Previous Next