1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 2:04 PM by smith7180

FM14 Button Bar Active State

flukey

In a button bar the button goes to active state once it is clicked.  It never leaves that state unless another button on the bar is clicked.  This means that you do not get another indication for hover, pressed, etc for that button.

I use the button bar feature with a single button because it allows you to use the calculation dialog to define the button name (why not allow the same thing on a regular button).  In that case the button gets stuck in the active state forever since there is no other button to click.

Is there any way to avoid the button going into the active state.  I have tried using the Active Button = None option in the bar setup dialog but it does not stop it from going into active state during browse mode.

Flukey

• 1. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
          mattstanford

I also ran into this problem. If you have a series of buttons that you are using as a contextual menu (buttons like new, delete, duplicate, print, etc.) the active state styling overrides any hover styling as soon as one of the several buttons are clicked.

For example, if you click delete, the script runs and the record is deleted. However, since the delete button was physically clicked, the next time you enter the contextual menu the delete button seems to take on the "active" state and the hover properties no longer get applied (the button remains with a white background even though it is set to have a grey background on hover). This seems to happen even if you have "None" selected as the active button in the button bar setup dialogue.

It's unfortunate that the active state overrides all others with no option to disable the state entirely, or rearrange the css hierarchy.  I'm finding that I might have to revert to separate buttons in a contextual menu since this behavior is really only useful with a navigation type button bar set up.

Hopefully there is way to get around this behavior, but I haven't found it yet.

• 2. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
            lexan

Here is the solution:

STEP 1 - enter FALSE into the "Active Segment" calculation

STEP 2 - add a COMMIT step into your script if [one of] the segments creates a new record

STEP 3 - there is not a STEP 3 

Look at the attached file

/Stefano

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
              mattstanford

Well done. Thank you.

• 4. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                lexan

If you have a button bar with a segment as popover button which shows another button bar with multiple buttons

a01.png

the COMMIT step is necessary as like as a Refresh Object [ "yourPopoverName" ] (*)

Without the refresh, the pressed segment remains active!

/Stefano

(*) the popover display object, not the popover button!

• 5. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                  Markus Schneider

THank You! Same problem here.. Like 'step 3'

(although I'm thinking that the native process has to be adjusted)

• 6. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                    lexan

Uhm...

Two kind of problems:

1. Segment in Focus
                      1. —> Commit
                    2. Active segment
                      1. —> Refresh

These work in my [and most] case

/Stefano

• 7. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                      flukey

Actually, Commit seems to be the only option that works for me in the case of a button bar with only a single button.  Refresh Object does not restore the button to respond to hover etc.  Even with FALSE in the Active button option.

With a multi button bar, then the False option seems to work.

• 8. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                        flukey

Does anyone know what result the Specify option must return in order to select the active segment.  I tried returning the name of the segment, but that did not work.  There is no way that I see to address the individual segment from within a calc.  The help provides no guidance.

Any ideas?

• 9. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                          lexan

>Actually, Commit seems to be the only option that works for me in the case of a button bar with only a single button.

Correct! In this case only the script step Commit fix the "problem"! The Commit option of Show Custom Dialog[] doesn't work!

But since a single button-button-bar is not the only situation you may face, I have suggested tricks to remove the active segment in more complex situations.

BTW you have to spend some time customizing your scripts case by case.

Anyway, your post seems to be solved; if you have any different trouble, please attach your file.

/Stefano

PS download the two files, please.

• 10. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                            TimAnderson

I have found that setting the Active button to a value that does not exist in the segment names clears the active status  without a commit

• 11. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                              lexan

Segments in a button bar accept TRIGGERS!

(Button bars not, of course!)

Be careful that you should not set programmatically the active segment, because the user can click another segment and nullify your work!

/Stefano

• 12. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                                lexan

This is the meaning of the calculation = FALSE but, sometime it is not enough. Without COMMIT if your segment as button creates a record, the segment stay in Ficus and Active.

We have a lot of things to discover about Button Bars.

This is a fantastic thread!

Sent from Steve's iPad!

• 13. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                                  TimAnderson

Yup, understand the meaning of '=False', didn't try that because my logic told me that the option of 'none' would be the same as =False, and that didn't work so I tried setting it to a non existant name!

• 14. Re: FM14 Button Bar Active State
                                    flukey

I still cannot get that to work.  I have tried setting it to "NoValue" but the segment still goes active and stays that way.

The only thing that seems to work right now is a commit.  Not a very good option.

1 2 3 Previous Next