3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 11:28 AM by TorstenBernhard

Adding US census Data and annotations in separate files

aabrahamson

Hi All,

I have two files I want to upload one is the data and it has coded column descriptions (this is the main data to import) the second is the meta data that gives you the annotations or common names for the column headers (this is the one marked meta data).  I would like to set it up so that I can keep uplading the data files, but be able to use the annotations headers in filemaker to do my layouts.

• 1. Re: Adding US census Data and annotations in separate files
          TorstenBernhard

Normalise the data in table "ACS_05_EST_S1901.csv". Be clear in naming columns and corresponding variables in tables.

"Geo_ID" and "Geo.id" can be confusing in this context. My guess is that you will end up with 3 tables, including the one for meta data:

Table "MetaInfo"

Table "GeoID"

Table "GeoDisplayLabel"

Identify fields that can be used to establish relationships between records of different tables, like "GEO_ID". Connect tables through these fields in the FM's Relationships Graph. Then everything is at hand for display in layouts.

Through a scripted import routine imported data can be moved to their appropriate tables.

There is more than one way to achieve things. All depends on how you intend to make use of the data.

• 2. Re: Adding US census Data and annotations in separate files
            aabrahamson

Hi Torsten,

Can you point me towards a scripted import routine example you know of.  I would think I could make and import that says HC01... = Housing... and HC02 = Families ... and so forth this way I can just import the raw data into a table with the field names of my choosing correct?

Thanks again for you time

Drew

• 3. Re: Adding US census Data and annotations in separate files
              TorstenBernhard

Unfortunately I have none at hand that is easy and instructive. Designing such an import script can start when your data model is established and is in a normalised state. This would be the basis for our discussion, walking you towards a working script.