5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 7:57 AM by psuchad

FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1

psuchad

We are having an issue at my office where Windows 7 machines have has FileMaker 13.0.1.0 manually (not pushed by a server) installed and updated.to 13.0.5.0. For the last week about 10 of the machines have reverted back to 13v1 overnight. When the user tries to open the FM, they receive a license conflict message. Entering in the same volume maintenance license key allows FM to run, but the version remains 13v1. v5 can then be installed, however the next morning the cycle repeats.

Our network guys claim that there is nothing running that would auto update or push out updates to FileMaker. Anyone have the slightest clue how the software could be rolling back by itself every night? No sure why they would be getting a license conflict either since we are nowhere near the maximum.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1
          mikebeargie
          Our network guys claim that there is nothing running that would auto update or push out updates to FileMaker.

Sounds like your network guys don't want to admit it, or do the investigative work on their end to fix it.

If ANYTHING is set up in your domain for silent install, I would be suspicious that it was not a filemaker issue. It sounds like your controller is not seeing filemaker 13.0v1 installed, and just reinstalling it every night over your update. This may have not been a problem if you leave it at 13.0v1, but manifests whenever you try and update.

Furthermore, it sounds like it's doing an improper install, causing your licensing issue when you first start filemaker the next day.

To test, try disconnecting one of your machines from the domain for a few days, run the update, and see if it sticks. If it does stick, then it's definitely the domain updates being forced. If it reverts then it might be a filemaker issue. I've never heard of anything like this as a bug before, so I'm hesitant to point the finger at FM on this.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1
            psuchad

My question here is the extent of my investigation as I agree with your assessment. After a week of this problem, I told them I would ask the community.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1
              psuchad

My suspicion of a server push were correct. Now should I tell the network guy or continue having him manually reinstall FileMaker on the 14 machines assigned to a year old deployment?

• 4. Re: FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1
                mikebeargie

well, a proper remote push would mean that the admin would be keeping the most recent updates to filemaker available so it updates to all the machines automatically. It sounds like they did not.

Given that (I think) you need to update to 13.0v5 before 13.0v9, I think your best case will be to turn off the auto-push, manually update your machines to the latest update, wait a few days, then turn it back on as long as the updates are accounted for.

Another option would be to write a rule that checks for filemaker 13x, rather than 13.0v1, so that it doesn’t overwrite the updates.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 13.0.5.0 reverting back to 13.0.1
                  psuchad

That is what we are doing. We want everyone to be on v5 and either push out v9 or FM14. The rollout to 14 depends on getting the SSL bugs worked out.

Our issues were simply somebody not paying attention.