1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 5:13 AM by codeslave

What to do when you've solved a bug but don't understand how/why

smith7180

Until this week I've been fortunate enough to only encounter one real bug in filemaker.  I reported it on the tech support forum.  TSGal replicated it, and I later got a notice that the bug had been resolved in FMP14.  I was quite happy with the process from beginning to end.

I've encountered another bug resulting in FMP14 crashing, and after a couple of days fooling around I've modified my script in such a way that it no longer triggers the crash.  However, unlike my previous case, I am unable to isolate the exact action that triggers the bug.  Furthermore I have no idea why my 'solution' works.  Unfortunately I cannot post the database (it's a client's).  So I wanted to very briefly outline my scenario here and see if anyone had any ideas with how I might proceed in either reporting or isolating the bug.

The set up is this:

• I have a Pop-up.
      • It has a trigger on close that runs a script
      • It also has a 'done' button that runs the same script as the "on close" trigger

This is what happens in Filemaker Pro Advance 14:

• If I press the 'done' button, the script runs just fine
      • If I mouse outside the pop up (causing it to close) the result varies:
        • If I click on any area of the layout that isn't a portal: everything works fine
        • If I click on an area of the layout this is a portal (even if the portal is empty) filemaker crashes every time.
      • If I run the script with the debugger on, I never get the crash no matter how I close the pop-up.
        • If instead I manually go line by line (disabling and re-enabling each step), the crash will sometimes happen.  I'm at a loss though as even by doing this I haven't been able to isolate the bug

In Filemaker 13, I never get a crash.  The fact that the bug never occurs in 14 unless if I have the debugger enabled gave me an idea:

• I added a single step to the 95 step script: pause for 0.01 seconds.

This has completely resolved the bug for me. However, I would like to actually know what is going on for my own peace of mind and so that I may report the bug.  Does anyone have any advice on what steps I can take to accomplish this?

Thanks,

J

1 2 Previous Next