1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 9:04 AM by erolst

Can't open database

nella

I can't open my database.

cant-open.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't open database
          wimdecorte

Go back to a backup immediately.  If you don't have a backup, then see if you can use the recover to get the data out, but don't keep re-using this file.

And more importantly: you have to investigate your deployment to see what you are doing that would result in damaged files.  That is vital otherwise it will happen again in the future.

• 2. Re: Can't open database
            nella

Using backup.

• 3. Re: Can't open database

Hopefully you have a backup and have kept a golden clone to use to import the data from the recovered file.

Also understanding how the file became damaged is important so that this doesn't happen again.

For instance, a beta copy of FileMaker is for testing (also the initial public release). These crash on their own and can damage a file.

You may have something in your system that causes a system crash that would damage your file.

Or you may have a runaway script that causes you to force close the file.

Or something else.

Important: do you have an automatic backup software running. One that backsup your files and or hard drive at a designated time? This can damage an open FileMaker file. If the file is on the server, tell your IT guy to NOT BACKUP THE OPEN SERVER FILES. Let FileMaker Server do its own backups.

• 4. Re: Can't open database
                nella

We have automated backups of each day. We don't have FM Server deployed yet but will be doing that next week; hopefully.

I am running FM14 while others in our office are still running FM13. I thought it wise to check out FM14 first before upgrading everyone else.

• 5. Re: Can't open database
                  nella

I should add that I've experienced a hiccup with FM14 that has caused my email scripts to no longer work. I just checked them on one of our other PC's and they still work fine. I put this discussion here for input: FM14 issue

• 6. Re: Can't open database

I would NOT open your business file with 14 since it is still buggy, crashes and may even damage some lines in scripts if you are using it to edit the file.

Only open a DUPLICATE of your file with 14.

Until several updates have been issues, lets say v3, I would only open a backup or duplicate of your business file and experiement on that.

• 7. Re: Can't open database
                      nella

I've reverted back to FM13 just to be safe.

Thanks all.

• 8. Re: Can't open database
                        Benjamin Fehr

after weeks of experiences with FMP14, I decided to stay with FMP13 for a long time.

I applied some of the new FMGo14 functions (OrientationLock) to my solution.

Be aware that new FMGo14 function will work on FMGo 14, even when your solution is hosted on FMP13!!!

• 9. Re: Can't open database

The engine is in the FileMaker Pro database which is why you can open an old 12 or 13 file with 14. The data file only has the structure and scripts that were saved in it but requires the app to use them.

One caveat is that if 13 touches a 14 specific script or calc it will comment it out and make it non-useable in 14 if you open it in developer mode. Perhaps even in user mode althought I haven't tested that.

One workaround is to IF for version so as to protect the function from being read and commented out.

They say you can go home again and they should add you can't go backwards with the editor...

• 10. Re: Can't open database
                            Benjamin Fehr

so much about FMGo13 meets a FMGo14 function unknown_script_step.png

• 11. Re: Can't open database
                              erolst

jackrodgers wrote:

if 13 touches a 14 specific script or calc it will comment it out and make it non-useable in 14 if you open it in developer mode.

That's not correct (though I have to take an educated guess at what you mean by “touch” and “developer mode”). Try it sometimes.

jackrodgers wrote:

They say you can go home again...

They say "you can never go home again". Isn't that American folk-lore?

• 12. Re: Can't open database
                                steveromig

Leon Hickey wrote:

I can't open my database.

cant-open.jpg

If all else fails you can try this...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1633

While the PDF you need to fill out is old and needs to be updated, you can send in any flavor of .fmp12 file you want.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Can't open database
                                  wimdecorte

What did you expect here?  Not sure what you are trying to say.  This is as obvious as it gets and we've been warning across many threads not to mix and match environments when you are using FM14 features...

• 14. Re: Can't open database
                                    wimdecorte

efficientbizz wrote:

after weeks of experiences with FMP14, I decided to stay with FMP13 for a long time.

I'm not sure what this contributes to this thread.  If you have examples of your concerns then I would suggest you create your own thread and be more specific...

1 2 Previous Next