AnsweredAssumed Answered

Script Naming

Question asked by woodeye on May 26, 2015
Latest reply on May 28, 2015 by keywords

I am trying to be better at following a standard in how I name my scripts. I am a little confused as to what is "allowed".

In the FileMaker Development Conventions document dated Nov, 2005, (this file is still linked to from FM inc.), I find the following guidelines:

1. Script Names Should use only the characters • Upper & lower case aA – zZ • Number 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 • Single and double underscores “_” “__”  (this would seem to suggest that spaces are not to be used)

2. Cannot exceed 100 characters in length.

On the site www.FileMakerStandards.org, I find the following warning: Note that the use of spaces and parentheses is not advised for scripts used within the Web or Mobile deployment of a solution.

FileMakers own starter solutions use spaces in their naming of scripts. I also notice that RC Consulting's "FM Starting Point app uses the format of "(1001) Script Name". FM Starting Point and some of the starter solutions support desktop, mobile and web.

I have yet to find a problem with using spaces and/or parenthesis in a script name. Something has changed since the "FileMaker Development Conventions" were published in 2005.

Is there more current information available regarding naming conventions?

Thanks,

John

Outcomes