I have a database with 2 tables. But I have to remove a field from table 1 to tabel 2. I do this with calculation, but how can remove calculation condition and to save the data ?!
Sorry for my english.
If the relationship record to record between the two tables is dependable you could probably simply make the field a data field and use Replace Field Contents with a calculated result in which you apply the calc. Try it in a test field first to make sure you get a 100% match.
I would try exporting the data from the Primary Key field and the field to be moved, all to a new FM file.
Then create the field in the new table, and import into that table based on the proper Foreign Key field using Matching Data, and pointing the old field from table A to the new field in table B.
If you don't have a field you can use for matching keys, then you will have to rethink how you are going to move the data reliably between records in different tables in any case.
I have tried with export import, but i want to do this without excel or any other external software.My colleagues primarily work with excel. I want to change it. At work we have many softwares wich are very
I've tried Export Import, but I want to do it without using external software. Also "Replace Field Contrents" it is not always active.
Replace Field Contents is always active if you have a field selected.
Taking this a step further, if you have already created a calc field that delivers the correct data you could try the following:
1. Create a new standard data field (presumably text)
2. Find all existing records and use Replace Field Contents to populate this new field using the calc field
3. Set the data field to Autoenter by calculation, and use the original calc you created for your calc field
What has this achieved? Step 2 will have populated a standard data field with the calculated data you had delivered via your original calculation. Step 3 will automatically populate this field in any new records you create, with the calculated data as per your original calc.
Once you are satisfied with the above conversion, you can safely delete your original calc field.
I've made 3 fields F1, F2, F3. F3 is calculation. F3=F1+F2. I want to replace F3. First I select F3, but "Replace Field Content" is not active.
That is because the field is a calculation field. Make the field a data field and try again.
You can create the field in table#2
- if its a calculation, define the calc again in the new context, maybe You need a relationship
-- the old an the new field should show the same date
- if its not a calculation, You can import the data or use the replace fields contents command, maybe You need a relationship
- You can't copy the column abd paste it over in table#2 - it's not excel..
some more info is needed
THANK you very much.
Import and Export both work without any "external software" — just choose to export to FMP12 and keep everything in FileMaker.
I used keywords advice.
"That is because the field is a calculation field. Make the field a data field and try again."
1. make calculation field in Table 2 equal to field in Table 1 that i want to copy
2. change calculated field to data field
3. delete field i Table 1
Retrieving data ...