7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 11:56 AM by erolst

Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI

TorstenBernhard

I'm taking Carsten Levin's suggestion https://community.filemaker.com/message/189446?tstart=0 and set up this thread for discussing the matter.

+1 for putting XP the list of "deprecated technologies"

+1 for bringing Win FMP' GUI to the level of OS X FMP

+1 for taking long-standing GUI bugs out of Win FMP

As an Apple subsidiary, FMI has privileged access to leading-edge GUI design knowledge and technology. Surely there are have no shortages in know-how and technical sophistication.

There may be hurdles to overcome in Windows' graphical subsystem, but all other modern Windows applications handle it very well. There are also some long-standing GUI bugs that are exclusive to the windows version, hampering usability.

Quo vadis, FMP for Win?

• 1. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI
          Benjamin Fehr

For that MS-Windows "Windows-in-a-Window" issue:

Apple Inc. knows how to solve!

see iTunes or QuickTime for MS-Windows.

• 2. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI
            CarstenLevin

Hi Torsten & everybody else here

I guess that most of us agree, but since it is a pretty major change it could also be interesting to discus whether the exact way it is working on Mac OS is the best possible one.

I must admit that since we got the fine new window handling I am not missing anything

modal.png

Prior to that we used plugins to optain the behaviour we need.

But let's hear: Other may have even better ideas that we can give to FileMaker before it is to late.

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI

Unfortunately FileMaker seems to use the OS tools for things like scrollbars and script items on the left in Windows that drop to the bottom and dissappear rather than code its own forms and shapes for us to use. Take a look at the new dialogs in 14 on windows and then look at what we get to offer. Look at the new drop down menus in IOS and then look at the flakey popups we get to offer...

There are 17 missmatched dialog window styles for developers to use, some dating back to the time of the dinosaurs.

Engineers can't increase the depth of one dialog in Windows so that we don't have to scroll down to see the last two options. The original designer was lazy and we have paid the price in pain!

• 4. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI

It's such a joy to see that Filemaker can create dialogs with no scroll bars but does not give us that ability...

• 5. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI
                  CarstenLevin

If you are having personal problems with FileMaker or can not accept that 10 years ago things had to be done different from what we want now, that is OK with me. But the style and form is discouraging for a good and constructive dialog about how we would like things to be in the future. Torsten started this tread, and those who are not able to continue in the open and friendly form, could you please find another sandbox to play in.

Comments like:

The original designer was lazy

and

It's such a joy to see that Filemaker can create dialogs with no scroll bars but does not give us that ability...

are not very useful. Not only because of the arrogant and ill behaved form, but also because I do not really grasp the exact improvement you want. Try to be kind and try to explain or even illustrate the positive changes you would like to see.

My point is that Torsten started this tread to get a positive forward pointing dialog. And angry remarks, sarcasm and rude behaviour is not a help to anybody here.

I am sorry to waist time and posts, but the tone at the FileMaker Forum is definitely not good and getting worse. We have to do something, or people who want to ask questions, discuss issues or help other FileMaker users will be tired out become silent.

Please, please, please,

Carsten

• 6. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI

After countless cries in agony over some of the FileMaker dialogs, 14 sends them to a quiet place.  Here's the example from 12 that occurred in many of the dialogs:

Terrible Dialog.png

The scroll is used instead of a more logical set of radio buttons. One must use the scroll bars to select I think it was two more options, one of which was Blank. Blank was a favorite of mine since I could then do what I wanted.

Careful examination of the dialog showed there is plent of room to expand the area to show these options rather than hide them or to use radio buttons. So, why did the designer waste that space and make us have to spend and waste time scrolling to see the two options?

There are many other such dialogs. And there are five pet peeves of mine.

1) In dialogs where we can resize the dialog, the wrong side resizes.

2) I cannot resize some dialogs to show importand naming information, even in 14.

3) FileMaker does not remember the sizing I used for columns and I have to reset it every time I open the dialog.

4) Those who design these dialogs don't use them on a daily basis otherwise they would redesign them.

5) Filemaker keeps adding such cool features that the 4 listed above don't receive much attention

• 7. Re: Inequality between Win FMP and OS X FMP GUI
                      erolst

jackrodgers wrote:

2) I cannot resize some dialogs to show importand naming information, even in 14.

3) FileMaker does not remember the sizing I used for columns and I have to reset it every time I open the dialog.

Absolutely agree; with certain naming conventions, it is almost impossible to find the correct match fields in the (especially narrow) left side of the “Edit Relationship” dialog; and that the field list in Define Database isn't capable of memorizing manually set column widths … 'nuff said.

My pet peeve: you can sort that same field list by creation date, but there is no column (or other method) to toggle the order …