8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 7:45 AM by MHaskins

FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style

wjackson

I really like the new button icons that FileMaker introduced in FileMaker 14, but I do not want to use them everywhere if they are not part of the style. This means that, if I want to use the new icons on every screen and I need to make a change to them, I would have to go manually changing every button on every screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something that would enable me to make the icon part of the style?

• 1. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
          Mike Duncan

Glyphs (so named because they are SVG based) are separate from styles, that is correct. It is possible to have an image saved in an object's fill as part of the style, that might work for what you are looking for.

Part of the benefit of using glyphs is you avoid stacking multiple objects that might by problematic, say if you are deploying to webdirect. If you're not doing that, images in certain style objects may be an option, and will also work in 13.

Mike

• 2. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
            wjackson

Thank you for your reply. I did try using the object's fill instead, but then I cannot change the color of the icon within FileMaker, which is a great new feature. If I change themes, I have to then use a program to edit my icons to change their color. Their icons also just look better than mine, as well. I guess I will hope for the icons to be added to the style in the future.

On a side note, I am all for avoiding stacked objects.

• 3. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
              mark_scott

wjackson wrote:

I did try using the object's fill instead, but then I cannot change the color of the icon within FileMaker, which is a great new feature.

I agree, not to mention styling by state or applying conditional formatting!  In addition, if you use an image fill, it'll be a fixed-resolution PNG, so you lose the scalability of the new vector-based icons.  And honestly, I could never quite get PNGs as image fills to look the way I wanted on both retina and non-retina displays, particularly the crisp lines and edges over which I obsess, in spite of the various scaling and slicing options available. I was ecstatic to see FM 14 introduce the ability to use SVG icons and I probably won't be returning to pasting in PNGs as image fills.

Re the icons not being saved with the style, I'm sure this was a conscious choice.  The icon labels, like text labels, are effectively part of the "content" of the object.  That allows you to apply a consistent style to various buttons, regardless of their icon and/or text label, then update that style across the board.

Mark

• 4. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
                wjackson

Making icons look good cross-platform is very hard, indeed. I can see what you mean about the buttons getting the same style and the icon being individual. Perhaps a good compromise would be if the icon was part of the style only for individual buttons and not on button bars. That's really where I need this feature, anyways.

• 5. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
                  mark_scott

Actually, I'd suggest that the superior way to handle this would be for FM to introduce a "symbols" feature that allows reusable symbols to be placed (and updated!) across button and layouts, independent of the CSS stylesheets.  We've all watched FM incrementally gain more and more design-surface features starting with 12, getting a bit more like a vector design application with each release, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue (layers anyone?  symbols?).

Meet me at DevCon and let's see if my gut feeling is anywhere near correct. 

Mark

• 6. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style

We have been waiting for 20 years for FIleMaker to introduce a 'Global Button Menu' and the 14 Menu Bar is close but now a ringer, ala horseshoes.

Here's what it would be which is probably what you are thinking.

The GBM would be nameable like a variable and we could just drag it into place. Somewhere else we could edit the master BGM and make changes or maybe make the change on one layout and it would reflect through all the others. The master would have all of the features of the current Menu Bar plus more.

So Now we have ##GBM_01  ##GBM_02, etc. and can make dozens and dozens of layouts usine these menu bars yet only have to spend a few minutes modifying the master should we need to change the perform script, etc. and NOT have to wade through dozens and dozens of layouts modifying each button bar to do so...  

Graphics, buttons, lines, squares, etc. don't really exist. They are just a bunch of code, algorythms stored some where and used to draw the things on our screen. So, that data could be stored and assigned at any time. Just as we can drag a button on a screen we should be able to drag a stored menu bar. Well, we can drag the empty three cell menu bar so why not a real one just like we can duplicate it on screen, copy it or paste it.

I blogged this: gofmp: FileMaker Pro 22 - The New Menubar Variable

• 7. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style

You can use just one button from the menu bar by A) deleting the others or B) by Control dragging it to a new location.

You can even size it full screen.

• 8. Re: FMP14: New button icons aren't part of the style
                        MHaskins

I’m with you, wjackson. It was a big disappointment to find out that the actual icon is not saved in the style. I have a lot of imported images that are layered over buttons that I was planning to convert to buttons with embedded icons but now I’m not so sure I want to separately manage each button’s icon.  (Edited for typo.)