1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 2:44 AM by hjvanes

User design own print layout by placement of fields

hjvanes

Dear FM PPL,

I am not sure if this can be done or not.

Layouts cannot be imported.  This is a given.

I would like to provide if possible, users the ability to design there print template, by way of placement of fields, to a selected chosen location on a layout.

Imagineg a layout with a specific grid.  The user to be able to drag across fields to a specific grid location. Ie. Address details field.  If they do not want to go along with the standard print layout that comes with the solution, they can choose a custom layout and place the field by draging it onto the custom layout to a specific grid location - top right for example in place of top left

The purpose is then these coordinates can be saved and any import performed will place fields draged on to the same coordiantes as if it was data.

regards,
      HJ

• 1. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
          DavidJondreau

Why not simply allow the users access to Layout Mode?

• 2. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
            hjvanes

David,

The reason they do not have access is because the solution will have updates in future distributed for download which will import existing data.  The update would not have any of the users changers made.  Hence why it would have been great tobe able to import layouts.

Unfortunately I am looking for other option.

regards,

HJ

• 3. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
              Mike_Mitchell

One option would be to provide a second file, an interface file that joins back to your file. They could then have layout access and put their own reports in that. Your updates change your file; their file remains untouched.

Note that you have to be careful about making schema changes in such a setup, because their file will see changes as broken links.

• 4. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                Benjamin Fehr

One option would be to provide a second file, an interface file that joins back to your file.

Take note that printer settings are always stored inside a file. By separating them, you can have one dedicated file for Invoices which get printed on the laser printer, one dedicated file dress-labels which get printed on the Label-Printer, for example.

• 5. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                  siplus

This our average user using our solution.

https://goo.gl/3N1ybj

Giving them access to layout mode ?

NEVER !!!

• 6. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                    bertrand

Arghhh... Efficientbizz gave the same proposition I want to. Which such a pseudo, it's right.

I do the same with all my applications : one base for all that is GUI and reports, one base for all datas.

If I need to give such tools for users, I'll separate applications and data from user design and give only rigths to modify this third base and will protect the data base strongly.

It's why I've asked FM to provide editable fields and sections with scripting functions in FM 14, but they did'nt.

I dream a GUI to modify the plan of tables in the restaurant software I sell or to set the filling of a lorry for multiple deliveries. I dream...

• 7. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                      Benjamin Fehr

but reconsider this, IF you intend to move your solution to any iOS-Devices!

That's why I consolidated all files into 2 so one can easily move them to the iphone via iTunes.

With this, a PlugIn is required in order to take control of your different printers jobs.

• 8. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                        hjvanes

I do like the idea of 2 files.  My solution to be distributed is only in the one file.  It only needs to stay in the one file given the amount of data that will be generated is no large volumes.  Doing updates for the one file is not an issue either as I have sorted that out as well without loosing any data.

In essence the scenario I have is that the user has two options regards printing of records.

1. Basic which they go along with the design that came with the solution.

2. Customised in which the user can advise us at the busienss how they want the layout to look and we design it to their liking.

It is the 2nd option that needs to go to the 2nd file then.

I have never done this before and base on a Data Seperation Model.  Any advise on how I can bring data across from File 1 (Data) to file 2 (Print Layout) on the press of a button and when finished printing that file 2 closes.

I take it something like

file 1: open file

file 1: perform script in file 2 with paramaters list (value 1, value 2, etc)

file 2: get(parameters) from file 1 to populate the fields

file 2: close file when print complete

Or am I seeing this all wrong and should approach it a different way?

Any advise would be extremely helpful.

Having file 2: open for changes to the layout by the user would then not be an issue and also at users own risk.  However I do not think I would go down that path but rather setup a user login link between the 2 files.

regards,

HJ

• 10. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                          hjvanes

Mike,

I am not quite sure what you were trying to say given that the message was blank?  The 2 files idea from you is good sugegstion and one I would like to use.  Still need to understand how data will parse from the one file to the second print layout file though.

Thank you efficientbizz as well for your input and feedback.  Printer prob also did not think about, but businesses using my solution would only have the one printer.

regards,

HJ

• 11. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                            Mike_Mitchell

Stinking email does that sometimes. Sorry about that.

You set up your second file so that it uses Table Occurrences (TOs) that reference data tables in the first file. There is no need to move data at all. You simply build the layouts and point them to the tables in the other file. Your user can then manipulate the layouts in any way he likes without disturbing anything you’ve built in that first file.

• 12. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                              hjvanes

Mike,

I will read up a little more on the TO's.

I just tried a little experiment with my solution and set up a new file.  In new file I created a relationship between 2 same fields of source file (Address1) and current file (Address1) and placed field on new file layout.  It did bring across data for the Address1 field but only from teh very first record of the source file.

Is there something I should do to create the relationship so that the current record on the source file comes across to the print layout file?  Is it as simple as linking 2 id fields in the relationship or should I do something further?

regards,

HJ

• 13. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                                Mike_Mitchell

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Open "ContactsInterface". It has no tables, no fields, no data.

It edits the data in "Contacts" directly.

• 14. Re: User design own print layout by placement of fields
                                  hjvanes

Mike,

Thank you for the attachment.  I had similar set up on your info but created a relationship only because I would like it to print the current record it is on.

The file sent does update data directly this I undestood and aprpeciate.

What I am trying to achieve is that the user presses print button on File one base on the current record he/she is on and that opens ups second file to print the current record to the layout design in file 2.  hence the relationship needs to be the same regards records without the ability for the user to select/scroll to another record to print in second file (by disabling show all records).

That is what I meant about linking records to have same record appear on opening up file 2 from file 1

regards,HJ

Received your message about passing parameter of record id from 1st to 2nd file.  On this to perform script and go to the related record based on record ID.

I will give it a shot.  Thinking about it, it should be just the thing.

regards,

HJ

1 2 Previous Next