I don't think you need to specify secure connection when using localhost, it can just be http.
Unfortunately, if I don't specify it as secure, the page never loads and the browser eventually times out.
when connecting to admin-console from the machine where the server is installed you don't need the https and you should use port 16001. remotely ( such as via LAN ) use port 16000 and
https://IP or domain:16000/admin-console
You can redeploy the server from the main page Status > Server > Edit Deployment and enable WD there.
top-right corner of admin console.
Thanks! That makes sense. I'm hoping that once the IIS issues get straightened out, I can get it to work. For now, if I try to turn the web sharing on, the Deployment Assistant never completes (the 'action' indicator in the upper right goes white/yellow/red, never stops and then crashes.
Quite often this would mean that the ports 80 and 443 are not available to FMS.
If there's another service running on the machine that listens on those ports, you'd need to deal with that first.
Did you know you can specify different ports for the server upon installing?
Maybe that's an option. DNS would have to be configured depending on the system.
Well, rats. I have tried all sorts of things and cannot get the WebDirect working. Deployment Assistant crashes every.single.time I try to enable it. I'm on Windows server 2008 (in a VM). This worked fine on my local Windows 7 system. I've uninstalled Symantec completely, reinstalled IIS (twice!) and re-installed 14 several times.
Something is definitely blocking the install. There is a spinner in the top right that turns white/yellow/red and then crashes. If I don't install WebDirect, it zips right thru. Guess I'll need to call FileMaker again.
Oh, I also tried setting the HTTP port for FMPro to 8080 and the HTTPS port to 4430 to avoid conflicts with the built in IIS site. No joy.
Just a quick reply to let folks know that this has now been resolved. We wound up creating a whole new VM image using Windows 2012 R2 instead of 2008. That did the trick and I was able to configure WebDirect and PHP. Not sure why, but I'm glad it is now working!