1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 8:44 AM by Kristy Lapidus

What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?

CarstenLevin

Hi everybody, especially you who are using FileMaker 12/13 and have or are considering upgrading to 14 from 12 and 13.

So I am not focussing on conversion issues from fp7 to fmp12 but only on the question: Issues when going from 12/13 to 14. And let's avoid the connection discussion when going from 12 to 13/14, that's a license issue, not a technical issue.

• Problems or considerations with the server
      • Problems or considerations with FIleMaker Pro/Advanced
      • Problems or considerations with FileMaker Go
      • Problems or considerations with WebDirect
      • Problems or considerations with CWP

At the moment we are running only 5 FileMaker 14 servers, two at our own office and 3 at our customers. We have had no problems so far, but one of the servers is our own internal administrative server and the other 4 only has one solution each. I would really like go gather all information and have it shared among the other server responsibles ... thus this tread.

FileMaker Server 14 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

Product documentation

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fm14_webdirect_guide.pdf

Any suggestions for other documentation or white papers?

Best regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
          PeterWindle

The biggest consideration on Windows in the 32bit/64bit environments, FM send mail will only work in both the FM app and the mail app are both the same "bit version".

• 2. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
            CarstenLevin

And ... if you remember to install the correct FileMaker Pro 14 (32 for 32 and 64 for 64), will it then work as expected?

... if this is the biggest consideration ... them we are all going to be very happy.

• 3. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
              PeterWindle

The issue is with mixed apps, for example, if you install the 64 Bit FM and use send mail to the email app that is not 64 bit then it does not work

• 4. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                CarstenLevin

Yes, that is right, but it is probably a very well documented issue. But still important.

Any other issues?

• 5. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                  CaptainJake

I personally had that issue on the send mail as well as a major issue with container fields and Adobe.

We tried installing and removing office, adobe, and fpm both in 32 and 64 with very unstable results.

I uninstalled FMP 14 on all of our stations and on the server.

Even after doing that, we had to re-install adobe and office to get back to normal. This is the worst upgrade I have ever seen on FMP and I am going to stick with 13 until I see things worked out better.

• 6. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                    CarstenLevin

Hi Jake,

I read from your post that FileMaker 14 did damage to your Adobe and Microsoft Office installations and that they subsequently had to be reinstalled.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on this.

I have Adobes newest application on our Mac's + Office and on my PC I have Office, but I did not experience any anomalities.

Best regards Carsten

• 7. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                      fitch

32/64 also a consideration for ODBC.

• 8. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                        CaptainJake

Hi Carsten

my solution for my company has been a development beginning way back with macs and filemaker when it was nashoba systems, so I've been using it for quite some time. As it has gotten more complex and as my company has grown, we have increased the functionality of our database and rely very heavily on it for our day to day operations. Container fields are a very important part of our solution. When I installed server 14 all seemed well. After installing 14 on the user stations and the terminal server for my guys in the field, I was confronted with an immediate problem because the "send mail" script step would no longer talk to Outlook. Next, when we scrolled to a record with a container field, the PDF was launched immediately the first time. After you closed the PDF the file was no longer visible. On some stations the PDF would not launch, it would simply give me a message window asking if I wanted to run the file or save it. It got even worse, all of the large files such as safety videos that were only stored with a reference to the location, lost there connection and I had to spend hours manually re-inserting.

After doing some sleuthing on the Filemaker Pro blogs, I went back in to my systems and tried uninstalling and re-installing programs to make sure I was using compatible solutions. I think part of the problem was that we had 32 bit FMP 13 and 32 bit Office 2013 then installed 64 bit server 13 on our FMP server. I tried uninstalling everything and re-installing to 64 bit but that would not correct the issues. Then I re-installed all 32 bit, also to no avail. Finally, I uninstalled everything and re-installed FMP13 and FMP server 13. It still would not work. I then uninstalled Adobe XI and Re-installed and all was back to normal. I'm not budging from here again until I'm convinced that FMP 14 is stable.

• 9. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                          taylorsharpe

While it seems the major plugins have all been upgraded to 64 bit, some old 32 bit ones are around and you might want to confirm all of your plugins work in 14 before upgrading or check and see if they have updated versions, which may mean having to pay some additional licensing fees to come current.

If email is your biggest issue because of the 32/64 bit issue, then have FM generate the email and send it via SMTP.  You can have a layout with a From, To, CC, Subject, Body and attachments.  And with 3rd party plugins like 360Works Email (my preferred one, but many others out there), you can send HTML email and multiple attachments, neither of which you can do with FM's native Send Mail function.  And I've gotten to where I do this with PSOS and the plugin on the server so I don't even have to worry if the client has the plugin or not.

There are a number of UI features that are not backwards compatible in 14 such as button bar, Top Navigation, Button setup for placeholders and SVGs, etc.  This means all of the FMP/FMGo clients need to be upgraded or else you need to avoid those features.  I've used FMP13 to connect to FMS14 just fine, but still best to be using the same version.  But since the clients need upgraded, you need to determine the cost of upgrading.  Also, if you're not under maintenance, then consider getting it or going to Annual Licensing.  If you have those, then upgrading has no additional cost and it gives my clients an incentive to keep current.

Lets not forget that major security issues (man in the middle attacks on SSL) were fixed in 13.0v9 and 14.  Keeping current on software is all the more important if you have a solution exposed to the internet and most of my clients do.  Staying behind has its risks and that should be considered too.

One last thing... if you have someone using Windows XP, which is ill advised, but often a reality, then it will work on FMP12.  So if you have old OSs or old hardware, you may need to consider the cost of those upgrades. 

• 10. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                            CaptainJake

Taylor

Thank you for the pointers

I actually do have a maintenance agreement and have a seat license for all of my users

After  some thought on this bad experience with the attempted upgrade I have come to the conclusion that Filemaker, in its rush to provide a better product is focusing less on how its program relates to other apps than it used to in the old days.

If I were starting from scratch with new hardware and all new apps, IE Office, Adobe, Etc,

than it would not be such an issue. But when an upgrade to a better Filemaker means I have to go around and update my servers and all of my stations, my terminal server, and laptops, then it just becomes a headache that, unless I need the added functionality of the new FMP 14, isn't worth it. You would think that FMP would create some pre install notes to let everyone know what they need to do before install to make sure all of their existing software will be compatible. There are other programs that we have such as Auto Cad, Canvas, illustrator, and others that also are dialed in so to speak with things like Outlook and Adobe. If the install of FMP means we have to go around and re tweak all of the other programs because we updated one, then you need to assess how badly you want the upgrade. If there were some pre install notes, I didn't get them with my download. My main frustration is that I did multiple uninstalls and re installs of 32 and 64 bit on all of the app like Office and Adobe. I learned a lesson that depending on which app you install first, it defaults certain related settings that stay that way after uninstalls, making it really hard to figure out where the problem was. Sadly, I am now back to 13 and will stay there for awhile until I have time to disrupt everyone again to figure it out. When all of your employees are waiting for you to fix it, you can't afford to play around forever.

Sent from cliff on the road

• 11. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                              TorstenBernhard

in FM12 for Windows, typing in text fields happened as one would expect. FM13 for Windows changed this: As you type along, the cursor marker starts deviating from the real cursor position, which means that you nearly never see the true cursor position. Inserting text at random positions becomes challenging. FM14 for Windows has herited that bug. So moving from 12 to 14 may frustrate users who do extensive manual entry in text fields. It also happens in layout mode when entering longer text lines there.

There is no known workaround nor is it known if it will be fixed.

• 12. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                                taylorsharpe

Yes, upgrades are a hassle on desktops. 

Actually, FMP 13 desktops work just fine with FMS 14, and is not a problem if you don't use any of the FM 14 UI features.  The benefits of using FMS 14 with FMP 13 clients are two fold.  The first is security.  The second is speed.  Then you can take your time upgrading clients as you have time.   I have tried FMP 13 with FMS 14 and it really is a noticeable speed improvement. 

• 13. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                                  CarstenLevin

We are always keeping a "clean deck". All clients used with a solution will be the same, either 11, 12, 13 or 14. Never mixing. We are making sure that you can not log in with a previous version (12 on a 13 solution etc).

We are not 100% against using a higher version client, let's say Pro 14 on a 13 solution, but using a lower version is always a no go.

And in nearly all cases we will use the same server/client version: FMS 14 with FMS 14 clients. There are not really any reason to experiment to much.

So what I am really curious about is: Anything to be aware of going from FMS 13/FMP 13 to FMS 14/FMP14?

Issues mentioned here so far:

32/64 bit issue

• with other applications (Outlook etc) - and this is probably a Windows only problem, or at least mainly so?
                                  • with plugins - Windows and Mac consideration

And then Torsten Bernard refers to a problem causing the cursor on Windows not to show up at the right place. My problem is that I am not able to replicate that: Is this a general problem?

Other considerations going from 12 or 13 to 14?

Best regards

Carsten

• 14. Re: What to consider when upgrading FileMaker Pro/Server 12/13 to 14?
                                    Pragmystic

Torsten Bernard, we had this issue with one of our machines, and it turned out to be a Windows Display magnification setting which was set at 125%. We re-set it to 100% and the problem went away.

1 2 Previous Next