something I love to teach the newbies is the index (insert from) and it's great, but I'm curious to know if it would be possible to create this list base on the found set of records?
check this out....
FM 13: Pseudo Indexing | FileMakerHacks
similar results should be possible with virtual list via execute sql.
- virtual list built by sql (select distinct)
- a temp table, its field(s) were filled from the virtual list using list functions
- modal window, as in dsvail's post
It seems there need script anyway, so
1) make a table with a text field and 2 records
2) get list of field value in found set using any of techniques (List summary, replace field content, loop script, etc.)
3) put the result to 1st record in the table and commit
4) use "Insert from Index" on the 2nd record of the table for getting user's choice
5) take selected value and put to target field
You could use the summary "list of", but that will include duplicates.
If you create a value list based on the field, you can then use the ValueListItems function to return the contents of that value list, and you will not get duplicates.
Retrieving data ...