I had the same result. There is something flaky with that layout. It doesn't use fields it uses variables, mostly.
I created a new layout using the same file and it printed just fine. These sample files seem to generate problems. This particular one has a rather flaky interface that I would not use in a custom solution.
There is no problem with printing to PDF with 14, just this particular layout. I wonder if the problem is the same in all of the files.
I tried in fm 14 and print and in print dialog save as pdf. Open in adobe acrobat reader dc 2015 version (2015.007.20033), looks okay. Mine is Mac Book pro with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.
Yes, I had similar results with selecting "Print" and then in the print dialogue selecting "Save as PDF". Adobe viewers handle the resulting pdf fine in that case.
With regard to other Starter Solutions, "Time Billing" is the only other FMPA 14 starter solution I've tried so far, and clicking "Print Time Billing" & then selecting "Save as PDF" yields a pdf Adobe viewers handle just fine as well.
Yes, I had similar results with selecting "Print" and then in the print dialogue selecting "Save as PDF". Adobe viewers handle the resulting pdf fine in that case (also on MBP w/ OS X 10.10.3).
The issue occurs specifically if, having selected an invoice & clicked the "Print Invoice" button on the top right, rather than using the Print dialogue, you simply select "Save as PDF" while in preview mode. What results do you get when you try it that way?
Nice! I didn't even know about this Acrobat feature - I appreciate you highlighting it. And though I do not know the significance of what you've just discovered, I feel like you've taken this in a beneficial direction.
I've the same when printing PDF docs with Safari or when saving PDF files from Parallels Windows emulation to Mac.
To print from Safari, I need to save the file, open Preview and print from Preview.
I tried using that print to pdf button and also going back to browse mode and using the File:save to pdf menu item. That layout had problems.
Looking at the layout (I created my own very simple form layout and it worked just fine) I see that they have used quite a number of layout breaks for the invoice plus variables instead of fields. I wonder if this could cause the problem. They also used the custom window features and sized the window, etc.
I tried my own file which prints a pdf report and has been doing so for quite some time and it works just fine under 14.
Then I tried it by showing the status bar, entering preview and clicking the save to pdf button and that worked OK.
So, my belief is that there is something corrupt in the file layout or in the gttr window settings.
I take my hat off to you, siplus! I have had an annoying issue for some time where downloaded bank statements would not print on my older laser printer, although they printed OK on an inkjet. I just tried sanitising one and, Bingo!, now it prints on the laser. Obviously these statements, and the FMP files this post was about, contained something from the hidden data/metadata listed by Adobe. You live and learn. Thank you.
The problem is being caused because there is an empty container field in the header for a company logo
Put an image in it and the 'behaviour' goes away.
It doesn't FIX the issue, it merely gives you back the expected behaviour.
I will investigate what is in the PDF structure tomorrow that is causing the display to show white.
It is a colour space issue with the missing object
If you have Acrobat Pro, open preflight and run either convert to greyscale or convert to sRGB and the problem is instantly resolved.
Need to look under the hood tomorrow about exactly where and why
Perhaps the empty container comes under "obscured text and images" or perhaps "unreferenced data" from the Adobe Sanitise list (see siplus list above).
Delete the container from the layout and then put it back. Even if you leave it empty then the pdf creates properly. I suspect some corruption in the original field on the layout.
This. The most important part of what I was asking was why this happens &/or how to fix it. And though several workarounds were presented, including some enlightening Adobe techniques, this solution is what I was looking for: something I can implement relatively simply & entirely within the FM framework. Thank you!