8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 8:34 AM by dmb_fmp

14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?

weetbicks

It's been quite a while since FileMaker introduced a new layout part, but with FileMaker 14 we have one. Known as the Navigation part, on the surface it may appear similar to it's cousin the header. However the more you delve into its properties the cooler it gets. In this article we explain the properties of the Navigation part and why it rocks!

Click here to check out the full article at FileMaker Weetbicks

• 1. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
          Benjamin Fehr

I sent this in as a feature request among some recommendations to deal with different iDevice displays.

I'll be satisfied as soon as FMI allows us to switch options for Navigation Parts: Zoom enabled/disabled

• 2. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
            intex

but after all the navigation part isn´t, what it could have been easily - a central navigation for all your layouts which - changed once - gets changed across all layouts that use this navigation part. So we still have to change a main menu or toolbar manually across x screens if we want to change something there.

• 3. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
              Benjamin Fehr

there's a lot of room for improvements with the new Navigation Part.

I'm confident you'll get those Navigation Part with all contents be stored in CSS with the Theme for use across all layouts, as well as I get "Zoom enabled/disabled" option with FMPA 21

(that release with scriptable printing control, - PhilModJunk's feature request in the Year of 1996)

• 4. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
                Vincent_L

The fact that you can't set different size (proportionally) for each button, is a show stopper for many uses.

It would have been a perfect column header for list view, except it's not because button/cells width can't be set in %, like it has even been the case in html tables…

• 5. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
                  François Goulet

FYI: There is currently an issue with anchored objects placed in the Navigation Part... Right-anchored object returns to the 100% position when the zoom level is greater than 100%. Bug report: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/0b807f1fd7

• 6. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
                    dmb_fmp

"While we have not yet figured out how to alter the underlying fill colour you see (we’d love to know how) it is a nice little animation that ties it in nicely with the feel of iOS."

There you go :-)

• 7. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?

Click on the button, perhaps inside one button, and then open the inspector. Use the Appearance Tab and you can make modifications to various style elements. Or, use the Styles tab to select a different style for the menu bar. After styling the button using the Appearance tab , you can save this style using the Styles tab.

Button Bar Segment.png

Clicking on the popup shown, you can select the various states of the button to modify. The one below it adds further options.

It is possible to make a lot of modifications on these buttons.

• 8. Re: 14 for 14: What is a Navigation Part?
                        dmb_fmp

Was that a reply to what I posted? I'm not sure I understand...I think what happened is I may not have done a good job of indicating what part of the weetbicks article I was replying to. Here is the excerpt in a fuller context:

[begin quote] "Navigation Parts have nice animation effects and are stylable

This last one is not functionally necessary but so damn cool (and fun) we included it. Navigation parts have a nice animation effect associated with them when using a trackpad or iPad device and are scrolling a layout.  When you scroll to the top or bottom, the navigation part header/footer “bounces”.  It’s a little difficult to illustrate but you will have seen this effect on iOS for a couple of years now. You can scroll past the top of the layout essentially.

While we have not yet figured out how to alter the underlying fill colour you see (we’d love to know how) it is a nice little animation that ties it in nicely with the feel of iOS.

"

-----[end quote]

My video was trying to show how to fill the "bounce" space. Every weetbicks article I've read has been very helpful, and this one is no exception. I was with my wife at FedEx yesterday in line reading it & trying to explain to her why I was so excited at the idea of using what I described as a fixed navbar in a form layout!!! 10 minutes I spent trying to share my enthusiasm! She is a very patient woman - I probably did about as good a job with my explanation to her as I did indicating what part of the weetbicks article I was replying to in my original post...

Anyhow, since there was indication weetbicks may "love" to know this one thing, it is my way of saying "Thank you weetbicks!" and trying to give back what I can to the FM community at the same time. (and thank you too jackrodgers - I've had the privilege of reading a significant number of your postings recently).

In any event, I've redone the video using weetbicks example file, and I've attached the example file I edited in the video to show the new "bounce" background color.