3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 11:40 AM by eowen

Is there a limit to the length of a container's file name?

Paul Richardson

I have a container with external open storage on a FileMaker 13 Server. The jpeg files which are stored there via an Insert File script step are being named with names shortened after the 50th character.

remote:managementpraktiken-unternehmerischer-nachhaltigkeit.jpg

size:500,710

JPEG:umschlag/web/managementpraktiken-unternehmerischer-nachhaltigke.jpg

Is this a documented feature? Or Bug? What can I do? Is it the same in FileMaker 14?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Is there a limit to the length of a container's file name?
          user19752

Windows OS has something about 255 chars for max length of full path, so shorter names would be safer.

• 2. Re: Is there a limit to the length of a container's file name?
            Paul Richardson

Some testing has established:

1. This is a limit on filename length. It has nothing directly to do with the path length - a filename (exclusive extension) simply can't have more than 50 characters. Period.

The behavoiur is the same, by the way, whether the file is local or remote, ie on a server or not.

2. FileMaker 14 behaves exactly the same.

Now, if someone can telll me the reason for this limitation, I'll be satisfied. But it better be good ;-))

• 3. Re: Is there a limit to the length of a container's file name?
              eowen

from: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.filemaker.devel/47806

FM Inc. has acknowledged that there is a 50 character limited with the externally stored container

feature. Here is what they stated -

"This behavior is actually by design. The maximum file name length for a file held in open storage by an

externally stored container field is 50 characters. This was done to deal with an issue where long file

names could cause instability and crashing in FileMaker Server.

This only affects the file name as shown in that open storage folder; as you see, the file name shows

correctly in the container field itself, and if you use the Export Field Contents command to save the

contents of that container field out to another location, it exports with the full file name, so the file

name is not permanently truncated. FileMaker does hold a reference to the full file name and can put it back

as needed."

I'm pretty adversely affected by this truncation/50 character limit, so would love to know, FileMaker, if it can be removed.