Remember that FM14 on Windows comes with a feature similar to Apple's Keychain. I think it's called Credential Manager.
When Credential Manager is used, Windows stores user name and password so the file opens automatically. It's possible your user accidentally enabled it and that's why it's behaving this way.
Ibrahim has probably put his finger on the cause of your first issue. As regards the second, my best guess is that it has to do with OS permissions. I have encountered a similar issue in the past on a Mac, and the solution was to ensure that fmuser and fmserver (also relevant in my case) had read/write access to any relevant directories. Perhaps you are now encountering something similar on Windows.
Thanks ibrahim and keywords. Credentials Manager is supposed to be turned off but there is one user that has full access. I agree that he may have enabled it.
I had the user check permissions as a first step. Then I had him create a PDF manually. That all worked. I did ask him to check permissions for fmuser but not fmserver. However, I've learned that sometimes instructions get lost in translation. I suspect that you are correct in pointing at the permissions issue.
I will be on-site later this week so I can do my own troubleshooting. I'll revisit these two suggestions first.
Still haven't been able to get on site to troubleshoot but I was able to get Credentials Manager disabled. That fixed the login issue.
Still working on the 'Save Records as PDF' failure. I reviewed my personal Windows setup. System and Admin users own the permissions for the FM application. This is the same as on my Mac. No problems creating the PDFs on either system. However, I could not find fmuser on my Windows PC or my Mac (fmsadmin and fmserver are on my server). It appears as though the settings are the same on the client PC. So I assume the user set up is ok. (I'm having the client run a local version during my troubleshooting)
I have another function that saves reports to Excel (Export Records). I expected to this function to fail just like the PDF failure but it works just fine.
Bottom line is that the PDF function worked in FM13 and now does not in FM14. I can't figure out what has changed on that PC besides a new version of FileMaker.
It's got to be a simple problem but it still has me stumped.