5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 6:50 AM by TimNeudecker

Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?

taylorsharpe

I do this often on web hosting where you have multiple SSL certificate and assign them to web sites you are hosting.  I was wondering if FMS allowed multiple SSL certificates to be installed in the CStore so that you can connect to the same server using different URLs with different certificates.  I haven't seen anywhere in the documentation that this is supported, but I thought I would ask around just in case. 

• 1. Re: Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?
          dkb

From what I can see, this is not supported - at least not yet. It's an important feature that MUST be added.

• 2. Re: Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?
            lavendt

When you install a certificate with the fmsadmin install certificate command, it will install the certificate for both the DB engine and the webserver.

The DB engine does not support multiply certificates.

However, for virtual host websites, it is possibly to install a certificate for each custom website. But that is for CWP.

WebDirect is under the DB engine part.

• 3. Re: Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?
              taylorsharpe

Yes, Claus and dkb, both of what you say is how I understand things. 

Prior to FM pushing 3rd party SSL certificates, I would have several customers on a server and they would connect using different URL's to the same server because it looked more professional to use a domain that was similar to their company name.  We can still do that, but only one of them will utilize the SSL certificate for the DB engine and get the green lock icon in FMP.  Since FM is now encouraging use of 3rd party SSL certificates, hopefully they will make this a feature for us in the future.  I guess they did not realize that there are a number of us that connect to the same server using different URLs, particularly for those of us who host several different companies on a single server. 

• 4. Re: Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?
                lavendt

Please make a feature request !

If you do shared DB hosting, I suggest you come up with a generic name for hosting.

If wildcard certificates was supported, we could come long way with using subdomain for customers on the same server.

Please make a feature request about that as well....

• 5. Re: Multiple SSL Certificates for FMS 14?
                  TimNeudecker

I would also love to see wild card certs work so I can use my *.kyologic.com cert for all of our FileMaker servers.